Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8D APO EX HSM

ThornleyGroves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all i just now bought a Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8D APO EX HSM lens, and i am wondering if any users in the photo forum have it, and what their opinions are of it, what type of photography should this lens be used for, and also is the lens suitable to be used as a sports lens for some close range sports?

Thank You, Thornley Groves.

Never used it but I hear it's pretty good.

As for what to use it for...anything you want.

I have it, and I love it. I mean, one day I plan on upgrading to canon's 2.8L IS but, for now, it's incredibly sharp (on my crop sensor) focuses very quickly and quietly and has very smooth bokeh.

I will give you my take on this lens, but keep in mind that my take is on the Canon version. I found the Canon version to be well constructed, optically sharp with a pretty responsive autofocus. I shoot the Canon 70-200 f2.8L and found that from my tests that the lens was quite close to my Canon version. For sports it will do quite well, in fact a couple of sport shoots I shoot with use the lens.

I will give you my take on this lens, but keep in mind that my take is on the Canon version. I found the Canon version to be well constructed, optically sharp with a pretty responsive autofocus. I shoot the Canon 70-200 f2.8L and found that from my tests that the lens was quite close to my Canon version. For sports it will do quite well, in fact a couple of sport shoots I shoot with use the lens.

Okay thanks for that, really looking forward to using this now, will be here in 2 days!

I second Gryphon (along with the fact I have the canon version). It's heavy, well built, and a very nice lens. It's a shade on the soft side wide open at either extent of the zoom, but manageable, but crisps up 2/3rd to 1 stop up and through the middle range of the zoom, it's usable pretty wide. I was pleasantly surprised at the AF speed. I'd only ever used non-HSM sigma lenses prior, and it was a shock to see it so incredibly responsive.

Okay thanks for that, really looking forward to using this now, will be here in 2 days!

I didn't include the one down side to the lens, since to my knowledge it seemed to be Canon specific. Keep in mind that this issue is a correctable one, and that was a bit of front or back focusing problems with this, and seemingly other Sigma for Canon lenses. The one I tested was very sharp out of the box. I have no information on this being a problem with Nikon versions, but I do not follow nikon like I do Canon. As stated it is easily correctable with re-calibration by Sigma or exchanging the lens for a different copy if it presents itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back