Sigma VS Canon

Honestly I think if you need to maximize your investment in your lenses the best thing to do is save or do what you have to and go for the L lenses right off. Some people will go for a cheaper Sigma in the beginning and mabye consider going for a better lens later but I guess that's a position for people with the flexible money to do something like that.
This was my thought exactly. Keep my kit lenses etc while I am learning and later on upgrade to L lenses. But would one of the ones I listed above be good for group shots?? I am doing a wedding may 31st so I will need to do group shots then. (Yes they know I am still learning and yes they signed a contract to cover my own butt)

I think your sig should tell anyone why you have a Sigma for sale. I think generally after-market lenses are an acceptable substitue when you cannot afford a name brand lens but i you can afford L glass get it. Do not think that in a direct comparison an a Sigma lens is going to stand up in quality to an L lens.

Good point.

This Sigma 70-200 is my money-maker. Since it's the lens that brings in the most $, I am simply treating myself to the best in class.

Generally speaking, the "pro" level lenses from third party lens makers, (Sigma, Tamron and Tokina), are all pretty equal in sharpness/resolution to Canon's pro level lenses ("L").

There are other differences between third party pro lenses and Canon pro lenses, but sharpness is not one of the differences (Once again - as a general statement, what sharpness differences between pro lenses usually are insignificant).

Some differences are with CA, auto-focus speed, bokeh and lens build.

For lab testing of different lenses go to www.photozone.de
and you can compare resolution, CA, distortion, et cetera between different lens makers.

Generally, Canon L lenses are built to take much more punishment than non-Canon lenses. Unless you shoot like a photo-journalist, everyday, in dirty environments, in uncontrolled situations, you probably won't need the extra engineering.

Typically, Canon has the least CA while Tokina has the most.

Bokeh, is on a lens by lens basis.

Auto-focus speed seems to be more anecdotal than verifiable by testing (I've never seen a test for focus speed ... doesn't mean they don't exist ... just that I haven't seen one). Unless you are shooting a lot of fast action, like sports, then this is probably not a significant factor.

Don't be afraid to purchase a third party lens, for the non-professional/non-photo journalist, typically, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina represents the best value for the buck. I have a number of L's and a couple of Sigmas. The Sigmas are equal to the L in Image Quality (IQ).

Gary

PS- The problem with the internet is that one really doesn't know the level of expertise of the opinion giver. I suggest that before you take an opinion as gospel, check out the photo site of the person who's opinion are are about to accept and see the level of photographic competency.
G

PSPS- Good Luck
G

Canon "L" are supposed to be "top of the food chain".

I prefer "L" because I want to eliminate equipment error as a reason for a bad shot. Also, from what I've seen, "L"s seem to hold it's value better. I would rather save 3 times longer to be sure I have best possible equipment.

A "plus" for Sigma is their 4 yr warranty - it's 1 yr + 3 yr when you register lens. The "L"s I have only have 1 yr. Or maybe Sigma need 4 yrs? :)

I have invested in some books. This is also one of the reasons I am here I am trying to learn.
I work, am a mom, a wife, we just moved into a new house and I help DH with a DJ business. I am doing the best I can to learn. I am not going out to buy tons of lenses but when I do have the money for them I want to make a well informed decision. I thank you for letting me know what I am messing up it just confused me because it doesnt happen with my other lenses, just that one.

DOF is not the same at certain apertures for diffent focal lengths. f/5.6 @ 200mm is going to have a shallower DOF than f/5.6 @ 18mm. If you're shooting on the longer end of that lens, that could be why.

Plus it has to do with positioning.

For shooting one person, I generally shoot about f/5.6 to keep them in focus. For a group, I'd shoot at f/11ish.

I have a mix of third party and Canon glass (as you can see on my signature). I'm very happy with all of them. The Tamron is my walk-around lens, and its only failing is that it is not a USM so focusses a wee bit slower than my Sigma HSM lenses or the Canon USM. I absolutely LOVE my Sigma 10-20. I understand Tokina now makes an 11-20 fixed aperture f2.8 that might be worth looking into (their 12-24 has a wonderful reputation, but was not wide enough on a crop-sensor camera). I've paid considerably less for this lens lineup than I would have if I'd bought Canon glass, and am happy with what I have. My suggestion is to try the lenses before you buy them, if you are able. You can also check out zillions of image examples sorted by lens type on photosig.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back