sigma VS tamron

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have been looking at multiple lenses for my camera, and my birthday is coming up and there isnt anything id rather have than a "good" wide lens. right now i have the sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 which is the worse lens available lol. i was looking at the tamron 17-50 f2.8 because it has great reviews and isnt a lot of money! There is a slight chance i might become the owner of a canon 5d mk2 and if i were to buy the 17-50 f2.8 it would have been a bad investment...... i started looking at the tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the sigma 28-70 f2.8. i already dont like sigma, but i am aware they do have some good products. In fear of getting the 5d and not having a good lens for it because i wasted my money on a lens for aps-c sized image sensor will make me upset (i know i could sell it, but would be a waste of time/money). does anyone know if the 28-75 tamron f2.8 is of the same quality as their 17-50 f2.8? .... or is the sigma 28-70 f2.8 a better lens. i also looked at the canon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 usm which i am leaning towards because it is wider/longer and canon glass is always great. what do you guys think?

i called b&h and they said the canon is better glass, besides the f stop. ugh, im sick in the head (as most of you know)

Last edited:
I gave up on Tamron a long time ago, cant afford canon,,so I stick with Sigma 2.8 and have had no problems

do you have any budget?
clear.gif

I gave up on Tamron a long time ago, cant afford canon,,so I stick with Sigma 2.8 and have had no problems

do you have any images from your sigma you can post? :p

You mention a wide lens. Both the Sigma and Tamron's that you listed have a "wide" end of 28mm, which is not wide at all, specially taking into consideration the 1.6x crop factor of your 30D. It ends up being more like a 45mm. You might want to look at something that starts in the 17mm range or lower if you want the ultra wide (like the Sigma 10-22mm, which is an awesome lens).

I have the Tamron 28-75 and I love the lens, but wide it is not. There was a thread here a few months ago comparing the 28-75 to the Canon 24-70 L, which was a great read. Complete with tests and all. I'd suggest doing some backpost searching to find it, as it might have some info you are looking for.

Ha. Someones been drinking the kool-aid. I agree RLC, I have never had a problem with Sigma's F/2.8's (and they have a few). I've rocked the 105 and the 24-60 and love it as much as I did the first day I picked them up.

You mention a wide lens. Both the Sigma and Tamron's that you listed have a "wide" end of 28mm, which is not wide at all, specially taking into consideration the 1.6x crop factor of your 30D. It ends up being more like a 45mm. You might want to look at something that starts in the 17mm range or lower if you want the ultra wide (like the Sigma 10-22mm, which is an awesome lens).

I have the Tamron 28-75 and I love the lens, but wide it is not. There was a thread here a few months ago comparing the 28-75 to the Canon 24-70 L, which was a great read. Complete with tests and all. I'd suggest doing some backpost searching to find it, as it might have some info you are looking for.

when the 28mm in on the 5d is is somewhat wide lol not so much on the 30d but good enough to cover the range i want. ill look into that post. what do you think about the canon 24-85?

Ha. Someones been drinking the kool-aid. I agree RLC, I have never had a problem with Sigma's F/2.8's (and they have a few). I've rocked the 105 and the 24-60 and love it as much as I did the first day I picked them up.

no kool-aid today ... i did have one of those "mCafe" cofees from mcdonalds. next time i want a cofee that taste like some put a cigarette out in it ill get it again lol. i really love canon glass, the focus is almost never soft on even their cheap lenses and i trust sigma but not sure what to do.

the canon 24-85 has better reviews than the sigma and the tamron. i would like the faster glass but its not really needed. i want a better lens. so when i take photos im not like "why do i suck so bad" .... then i realize only one of my lenses is actually good (50mm 1.8)

i started a new thread called "tamron 28-75 f2.8 VS sigma 28-70 f2.8 "

Personally, I think you need to wait. :)

Wait until everything is finalized. Once you know for sure what you end up getting, then decide what zoom lens to get.

Of course, you can get another fast prime lens now.

So in the mean time, just relax and sharpen your photography skills. As for the birthday gift, can you get a rain check? Or a gift card from the company where you work. So once everything is settle, you can decide what to get.

Please understand equipments are only tools, Canon 5D mkII camera with Canon L lenses will not automatically change your photo to awarding winning photos. Your existing setup can do the same thing. When you on flickr, try to search your lens (or even the Canon Kit lens), you will find a lot of amazing photos.

I am sorry I did not help you much in this thread regarding lenses. But I just want you to understand your current setup is a capable system, the only limitation is your imagination. :)

P.S. Of course, you may already able to produce outstanding photos with your setup.

Personally, I think you need to wait. :)

Wait until everything is finalized. Once you know for sure what you end up getting, then decide what zoom lens to get.

Of course, you can get another fast prime lens now.

So in the mean time, just relax and sharpen your photography skills. As for the birthday gift, can you get a rain check? Or a gift card from the company where you work. So once everything is settle, you can decide what to get.

Please understand equipments are only tools, Canon 5D mkII camera with Canon L lenses will not automatically change your photo to awarding winning photos. Your existing setup can do the same thing. When you on flickr, try to search your lens (or even the Canon Kit lens), you will find a lot of amazing photos.

I am sorry I did not help you much in this thread regarding lenses. But I just want you to understand your current setup is a capable system, the only limitation is your imagination. :)

P.S. Of course, you may already able to produce outstanding photos with your setup.

if you used the 28-70 lens i have now you would puke after seeing its results. ive taken better photos with the vga camera on my cell phone. lol. if your glass is crap, sorry to say you will have crappy photos! read the reviews on the sigma 28-70 2.8-4 ..... even blind people said it sucks, and gues what ... it does. regardless if i get the 5d or not these would be the lenses id want anyways.

That Sigma is a very cheap lens though. So you shouldn't expect super stunning results, but on the same token, it shouldn't be bad so long as you work within its limitations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back