sigma VS tamron

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wgp1987, Jun 8, 2009.

1. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have been looking at multiple lenses for my camera, and my birthday is coming up and there isnt anything id rather have than a "good" wide lens. right now i have the sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 which is the worse lens available lol. i was looking at the tamron 17-50 f2.8 because it has great reviews and isnt a lot of money! There is a slight chance i might become the owner of a canon 5d mk2 and if i were to buy the 17-50 f2.8 it would have been a bad investment...... i started looking at the tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the sigma 28-70 f2.8. i already dont like sigma, but i am aware they do have some good products. In fear of getting the 5d and not having a good lens for it because i wasted my money on a lens for aps-c sized image sensor will make me upset (i know i could sell it, but would be a waste of time/money). does anyone know if the 28-75 tamron f2.8 is of the same quality as their 17-50 f2.8? .... or is the sigma 28-70 f2.8 a better lens. i also looked at the canon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 usm which i am leaning towards because it is wider/longer and canon glass is always great. what do you guys think?

i called b&h and they said the canon is better glass, besides the f stop. ugh, im sick in the head (as most of you know)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. rlcphotos

rlcphotos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I gave up on Tamron a long time ago, cant afford canon,,so I stick with Sigma 2.8 and have had no problems

3. fast1

fast1 TPF Noob!

do you have any budget?[​IMG]

4. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes my budget is anything that doesnt end in L lol..... 450 max?

5. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    do you have any images from your sigma you can post? :p

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The 5Dmk2 needs top quality lenses, inferior lens show up really bad even on the 5Dmk1

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mention a wide lens. Both the Sigma and Tamron's that you listed have a "wide" end of 28mm, which is not wide at all, specially taking into consideration the 1.6x crop factor of your 30D. It ends up being more like a 45mm. You might want to look at something that starts in the 17mm range or lower if you want the ultra wide (like the Sigma 10-22mm, which is an awesome lens).

I have the Tamron 28-75 and I love the lens, but wide it is not. There was a thread here a few months ago comparing the 28-75 to the Canon 24-70 L, which was a great read. Complete with tests and all. I'd suggest doing some backpost searching to find it, as it might have some info you are looking for.

8. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ha. Someones been drinking the kool-aid. I agree RLC, I have never had a problem with Sigma's F/2.8's (and they have a few). I've rocked the 105 and the 24-60 and love it as much as I did the first day I picked them up.

9. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when the 28mm in on the 5d is is somewhat wide lol not so much on the 30d but good enough to cover the range i want. ill look into that post. what do you think about the canon 24-85?

10. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    no kool-aid today ... i did have one of those "mCafe" cofees from mcdonalds. next time i want a cofee that taste like some put a cigarette out in it ill get it again lol. i really love canon glass, the focus is almost never soft on even their cheap lenses and i trust sigma but not sure what to do.

11. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the canon 24-85 has better reviews than the sigma and the tamron. i would like the faster glass but its not really needed. i want a better lens. so when i take photos im not like "why do i suck so bad" .... then i realize only one of my lenses is actually good (50mm 1.8)

12. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i started a new thread called "tamron 28-75 f2.8 VS sigma 28-70 f2.8 "