Silhouette's

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mwcfarms, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Practicing Silhouettes tonight. Might be a tad too much but both pictures I have taken again of same subject just different time etc. C&C always.

[​IMG]

Now that I see it on screen I should have boldly cropped that entire branch on the left hanging down instead of just a portion but its late.

[​IMG]

This one I shot on the last snowstorm of the year in April and it was really just a bland shot. Ive always loved broken down windmills and hope this is better than the other.

2. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the crop would help the first image from appearing as a mistake. Though I really like it!

The second one is just a bit vanilla for me :| I feel as if you could have climbed on top of your car or something, just a little higher up, would have made a better shot. The sky however is amazing :)

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty darned good for "practice" shots...keep that up and you'll be on the varsity squad soon.

4. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    looks good mw.

5. KenC

KenC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, the first cropped right up to the bigger trunk so it's more or less square would be awesome!

6. syphlix

syphlix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the first one's composition isn't working for me... it's a great sunset... but the right side of the frame ends up being dead space... the photo just doesn't feel balanced to me...

the second one is nice also... though same problem to me it just feels off... i feel like it tries to make the windmill the main subject since it's so prominent in the frame... but the sunset competes for it as well... i'm not completely sure how to frame it better but it seems off to me... just my opinion... either way you def. captured some beautiful light...

7. mwcfarms

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have added two seperate crops. One that I wanted to do last night but it was late and I was lazy and a more or less squared one that KenC mentioned. Do either of these work better for you?

[​IMG]

and a squared version.
    [​IMG]

8. mwcfarms

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure how to do that but Im going to try. Its a broken down windmall in my neighbors field which I had to walk into but now that you have said it I am going to take a ladder and try. Will see how that works. :lmao:

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    LOVE the windmill shot; (I'm a sucker for anything old, broken and/or rusty). Other than the comments already mentioned, how about waiting a few more minutes and trying a second set when the sun has just almost disapeared below the horizon. I find the colours tend to be even more pronounced, and you don't have the big, blown disc of the sun in the image.