Silver umbrella shoot c&c

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by encphoto, Aug 30, 2008.

1. encphoto

encphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So her name is Silver (no lie) and I just bought a 45" shoot through umbrella. Ive never really used one before, so I practiced with her. This is what i came up with :) I would think I need fill camera left? Suggestions pleasee. I'm new with umbrellas/softboxes. Canon 430ex used @ half power with gadget infinity trigger.

[​IMG]

2. John_Olexa

John_Olexa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the pose but not being an expert in Portrait work, I'll just state the one big mistake I see. you cut off half her hand. From what I have seen others post thats a big no-no. Maybe showing the whole hands and cropping mid thigh might have been better.

Pretty young lady! Hope you get to work with her more.

3. holga girl

holga girl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice shot. the lighting seems a wee bit harsh on the forehead and chest area. i also agree with john about the hands. something seems a bit off in her face as well, perhaps in pp? in all, i think a great first attempt with a new lighting set up. just some minor stuff to watch out for next time.

4. encphoto

encphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I noticed I need to pay more attention to the crop. To test I have a 28-135mm and very little room :D

About her face.. what did you notice that was off. Ive been staring at it for like 15 min now, haha. Just so i know for next time.

Thanks for the help both of you!

5. encphoto

encphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's another!

[​IMG]

With this one I notice a couple of pp problems now that I posted it. One thing though. The catchlight in her eye.. I personally like it. What does everyone else think? To much of that umbrella shape?

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Agree with the comments about the lighting. With respect to the second image, I think these catchlights might be just a bit over the top. I'd suggest moving the lights to one side or the other and trying a reflector to get the catchlights.