SLR and Laptop backpack

benstewart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a backpack to fit the following:

- Canon Digital Rebel XT + Tamron 28-300
- Canon Speedlite 580EX
- Apple MacBook, 12 inches, not really very big.
- A couple books

Feel free to make any suggestions, I'd prefer that they fit the entire ensemble, but if they don't, whatever.

I currently put my MacBook and camera in my school backpack, but it is not very convenient and when separated, the collection is quite cumbersome.

I use the tamrac adventure nine backpack that my fiance got me for christmas. So far it has worked rather well to hold my laptop and my DSLR. I have nothing but good things to say about. If I could change one thing, it would be to have more storage for general items...but I've learned to deal with it.

Here's a link http://www.tamrac.com/AdventureBacpacks.htm
Shane

Either Lowepro or Tamrac make good back pack designs and are built well. Its very much a personal choice so its best to take a look at both in person.

This are the reasons why I don't use mine much anymore:

1) Combersome to your equipment. Gotta take off the backpack each and every time you need something. Really puts a halt on the flow.

2) Having one of those things on your back screams.. "steal me!" or "rob me".

I have a Lowepro Computrekker AW, it would hold your gear and have room for a bit more.

Quality of the Lowepro bags is very good, I have several and they are great.

As mentioned, make sure you try out the bag first, if you can. The backpack style bags are good for long trips or hikes...but they can be a pain. Getting in and out of them isn't quick...and the way that most backpack bags open, makes them a pain when you are limited for space or are in an area that is dirty/muddy etc.

The AW Lowepro bags are 'All Weather'...which means they have a built-in rain cover. This came in really handy for me, when I was in Costa Rica...where it rained most of the time.

Update:

I'll now have an XT, a smaller wide angle lens attached to it, and a sizable 70-200 lens, along with my 12.2 inch MacBook

Any new suggestions?

In addition, I will be walking around on a campus, but won't be going on too many nature hikes.

I had the same problem recently when I went on a trip to Greece. I found that it is much more convenient to get a smaller bag for your camera that could fit inside a laptop backpack. Most of the time I did not want to carry my computer around with my as I walk everywhere. It was so easy to have a smaller bag that fits inside the larger one. However, it you want a bag that can carry all, Tamrac makes the Adventure 9 which I seriously considered. It too is a very nice bag and reasonably priced.

I saw this one at the camera shop the other day and really liked it but I was afraid to put all my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean.
I ended up with the lowepro slingshot and really suggest looking at it cause it is pretty cool.No need to take of your pack to access the goodies within:p :mrgreen:

http://www.naneupro.com/products.mdv?p=ug-u120

here is the slingshot though it doesnt have the laptop pouch.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Bags/Designed_for_Digital/SlingShot_200_AW.aspx

depends on what your preference is.....you want economical design for you are more on the fashion side .....for something economical....you would buy LOWEPRO......if you are looking for something that is more stylish....i would recommend CRUMPLER......both are good

crumpler isn't really that stylish ... well at least not my style :p

In addition, I will be walking around on a campus, but won't be going on too many nature hikes.

I'd say for nature hikes you'd need a totally different backpack than on campus.
I guess on campus you would not want a backpack with empty space just for your sleeping bag, tent, stove, food, water ... ;)

if you go on hikes you need an extra bag, a different one.

my "small" solution for cities and such (just like your campus business) is a medium sized pack. I just squeeze my small laptop-bag into the backpack, and so does my small camera bag (cam+ one lens) and another bag (wide angle lens + filters) and then the bag for my 300mm tele.

so that is 4 bags in one medium sized backpack. a rather modular system.

well, if i go on proper hikes... well that is a different story and very paonful :p

crumpler isn't really that stylish ... well at least not my style :p

crumpler is stylish in a sense that is it not "plain color"....but of course....different ppl have different taste.......but crumpler is different from main stream that is for sure :p

crumpler is stylish in a sense that is it not "plain color"....but of course....different ppl have different taste.......but crumpler is different from main stream that is for sure :p

color or colour? :p

well, to me crumpler appears rather mainstream and too expensive for what it offers, you pay alot just for the brand name. thousands of people around me buy crumpler these days ... which makes it very ordinary ... ;)

color or colour? :p

well, to me crumpler appears rather mainstream and too expensive for what it offers, you pay alot just for the brand name. thousands of people around me buy crumpler these days ... which makes it very ordinary ... ;)

color or colour...both are fine with me as english is my third language...any slang works in my volcabulary....(including words that are spelled wrong...haha)

crumpler = mainstream???...i guess you are around a rich crowd...all my buddies can only afford lowepro....crumpler too expensive..including myself....i like crumpler...but i use lowepro.... :lol:

crumpler = mainstream???...i guess you are around a rich crowd...

Uhm, ok, might be some truth in that .... but then again lowepro is expensive as well over here in Germany.

I don't use either... I spend my money on lenses ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back