Smugmug, Zenfolio, or other...???

Which site is best for portfolio building/customizing and selling images?

• Smugmug

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Zenfolio

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Bacon

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
I'm finding that zenfolio adds a lot of contrast to thumbnails in galleries, effectively crushing the blacks and making pictures look bad. I've emailed support on the issue and will keep this thread updated with their response.

They claim that when an image is reduced to thumbnail size adding contrast makes it look better. But it's too much in a lot situations and is misrepresenting the photo.

This is a known customer complaint since may of 2011, and a bit of a deal breaker for me. May be looking elsewhere.

It's great being a graphic designer. I can make my website however I want and make it do whatever I want and all I gotta pay for is hosting. ;)

It's great being a graphic designer. I can make my website however I want and make it do whatever I want and all I gotta pay for is hosting. ;)

Yes, that's awesome. But paying someone else to do that is sometimes a better use of time than trying to learn it from the ground up yourself :D. (For the normal, non graphic designer)

Rotinamod- your work deserves something better than smugmug or zenfolio.

i use zenfolio - Retroreflectography
my only issue with zf is that when you contact customer support (who is incredibly fast with a response) they expect you to do the legwork. i recently contacted them to say a client sent me a url. it opened up one photo on the computer, and a different photo on the smart phone. they acknowledged there was a bug and they duplicated the results. then they wanted me to check on different browsers and get back to them. i'm paying them, they should do that sort of thing.

anyway, i've heard good things about Photography Website Designs - Editable Websites for Photographers and Professional Websites for Photographers | PhotoDeck

None of the above. ProPhoto Blogs: Blog, site, and portfolio in one More expensive up front, but then no more money after that. I am having mine designed right now. I am sick of monthly fees.

No more money except domain and hosting fees, right? What does that cost you a month?
You have never heard of ProPhoto Blogs before? Oh my. They are super popular and highly rated. Once my site is done it will cost me only a couple bucks a month from BlueHost.
Also, if I were you, I would always fill your own orders, keep that profit margin higher, and use Shootproof for sales. It is super cheap, if not free if you have less then 100 images for sale at a time.

That's really nice of you to say. Do you have any recommendations?

my only issue with zf is that when you contact customer support (who is incredibly fast with a response) they expect you to do the legwork. i recently contacted them to say a client sent me a url. it opened up one photo on the computer, and a different photo on the smart phone. they acknowledged there was a bug and they duplicated the results. then they wanted me to check on different browsers and get back to them. i'm paying them, they should do that sort of thing.

anyway, i've heard good things about Photography Website Designs - Editable Websites for Photographers and Professional Websites for Photographers | PhotoDeck

I will check those links out.

Funny that you mention it: when I contacted them about the thumbnail issue they asked me to install Safari to make sure it wasn't a browser color configuration issue. But they could've just easily clicked on the link I provided and seen exactly what I was talking about.

You have never heard of ProPhoto Blogs before? Oh my. They are super popular and highly rated. Once my site is done it will cost me only a couple bucks a month from BlueHost.
Also, if I were you, I would always fill your own orders, keep that profit margin higher, and use Shootproof for sales. It is super cheap, if not free if you have less then 100 images for sale at a time.

No I haven't :(. I hadn't heard of zenfolio either before I started looking at all this.

Pretty disappointing process so far. Can't believe smugmug has such confusing, crappy menus on the back end. I also can't believe zenfolio calls itself a photo website, but adds a crap ton of contrast to every thumbnail they generate without the option to reverse it.

Your site isn't done yet?

Ill take a serious look at both PPB and shootproof.

That's really nice of you to say. Do you have any recommendations?

I will check those links out.

Funny that you mention it: when I contacted them about the thumbnail issue they asked me to install Safari to make sure it wasn't a browser color configuration issue. But they could've just easily clicked on the link I provided and seen exactly what I was talking about.

No I haven't :(. I hadn't heard of zenfolio either before I started looking at all this.

Pretty disappointing process so far. Can't believe smugmug has such confusing, crappy menus on the back end. I also can't believe zenfolio calls itself a photo website, but adds a crap ton of contrast to every thumbnail they generate without the option to reverse it.

Your site isn't done yet?

Ill take a serious look at both PPB and shootproof.
I am using a Photobiz site right this second. I will go live with my new ProPhoto site hopefully by August 6 after I get back from Mexico if there are no more revisions needed. You might like Photobiz, but it is more monthly.

Check out squarespace it is extremely easy to create a website with. They offer a 30 day free trial so why not try it. If you end up signing up for it you get a custom domain name when you do.

Check out squarespace it is extremely easy to create a website with. They offer a 30 day free trial so why not try it. If you end up signing up for it you get a custom domain name when you do.

I've built my own website with Expression Engine and hooked in various plug-ins, etc. It's a lot of work to build templates from the ground up. And now I'm faced with the reality that most people like to browse on mobile devices and I don't have the time or energy to build and test mobile versions of my site. I'm seriously looking at something like squarespace because they do testing for various devices. That's very valuable, especially as devices change and technology changes, keeping your website up-to-date is a maintenance choir that takes time away from other things.

Sure, you can have someone build it for you, but it may become outdated. If you are prepared to pay another design fee in the future to get a revamp of your site, then go ahead. I would certainly caution someone from building it themselves. It may look and function good today, but what about 4 or 5 years from now. You should be prepared to relearn the latest coding standards and how to take advantage of new widgets and such that make he UI more up-to-date. And then you need to think about testing on various mobile devices!

Perhaps in the future the entire web will be more unified such that there will be no need for desktop vs. mobile templates and testing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back