Snake ID needed

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This little guy was noticed among some rocks at a nature preserve in northern Vermont. Small specimen, probably 1/2" in diameter max., length about 12". Coloration was very striking, with orange marks rimmed in black on a white background. Very timid. I was about 3 ft. away and we watched each other for about 2-3 minutes, after which it disappeared under some loose rocks. I'm familiar with garter and grass snakes - this one is a new one for me. Google search brought up an image that seemed similar - in the genus Nerodia. However, the range description for Nerodia is for the south-east of USA, and this is almost in Canada. Anyone know what species of snake this is?

Snake_3142.JPG

Are you trying to get into a snake bar? haha!

Anyways looks like a Eastern Milk snake.

cache_3014068304.jpg

Range:
milksnake.jpg

Thank, Runnah. Your identification seems spot on. I checked the appearance with other images of the snake and it matches. So the name is eastern milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum). Much appreciated.

it's a milk snake.

whoops: too late.

it's a milk snake.

whoops: too late.

Yeah, but thanks. It helps to know that there are informed and knowledgeable people on this forum. :thumbyo:

Yeah, but thanks. It helps to know that there are informed and knowledgeable people on this forum. :thumbyo:

I wouldn't go that far, we are just good at googling ;)

I actually knew it--I don't have proof of this--but I really did.

One of the prettiest snakes in the US; milk snakes are constrictors and will get about 3 or 4 feet long. The name, of course, is from the legend that they's sneak into barns at night and steal cow's milk. I'd like to see a cow hold still for that.

Most reactions

Back