So, do I get to call myself a professional now?

Whoa, there's a lot to unpack here. First off, I want to make clear that I don't hold it against anyone for charging "high" (or for that matter, low) because everyone has their reasons and motivations, just like me, for why they charge those figures.

@vintagesnaps that's kind of what I'm trying to do by actually starting it. You can't really build a wedding photography portfolio without shooting weddings, so you have to take the plunge. I have done several second shooter gigs, but some of the primary photogs don't allow me to use the images I took for portfolio purposes. But in any case, I do know what goes in to photographing a wedding, so I'm not going in blind nor do I have any illusions about wedding being easy.

@Piccell you are up on your high horse. Awesome that you give so much, but as others have mentioned that's no reason to be snide to the people who have spent many years and lots of dollars building successful businesses.

@OGsPhotography the site should be functioning. A lot of people, not just on TPF, have been viewing it without issue. http://www.emmathurgood.com. but, to answer anyway, I'm asking $600 for a 6 hour day and $900 for 10 hours. I imagine those two are the biggest bones of contention.

I was sharing what I have heard a lot over the years about high priced photographers (overpriced) that they are perceived by the public at large as being greedy people that are priced above their worth. I was and am sincere in this and I was not being snide in any way. I do what I can to change that perception and I applaud other photographers that do the same. I think some people got the wrong idea about that.

I was sharing what I have heard a lot over the years about high priced photographers (overpriced) that they are perceived by the public at large as being greedy people that are priced above their worth. I was and am sincere in this and I was not being snide in any way. I do what I can to change that perception and I applaud other photographers that do the same. I think some people got the wrong idea about that.
Really?
Your comment to vtec44 about "knowing why he charged so much" was just "sharing what you have heard"?

He stated why he charged so much, please read that and then you will also know what I do. :)

bs-meter.gif

I guess your opinion of what a photographer is worth and mine differ

I think this is where we draw the line now as otherwise this is just going to be an endless debate between yourself and others on the perceived value of photography. IF you want to debate that go make another thread on the topic but for now I'd say return to the original content of this thread for the OP least we hijack this further into a side discussion

I think this is where we draw the line now as otherwise this is just going to be an endless debate between yourself and others on the perceived value of photography. IF you want to debate that go make another thread on the topic but for now I'd say return to the original content of this thread for the OP least we hijack this further into a side discussion
Thank you for that. I tried 2 pages ago but it fell on deaf ears.
Whatever, I think you have beat this to death for long enough, we know you are charging more than you could and I think we know why. Let the OP have her thread back, please.

To the OP: I think what you are trying to do is a great thing and I hope you find less resistance in the real world than you have here from this forum.
Fight the good fight. :)

Thank you for that. I tried 2 pages ago but it fell on deaf ears.
Whatever, I think you have beat this to death for long enough, we know you are charging more than you could and I think we know why. Let the OP have her thread back, please.

To the OP: I think what you are trying to do is a great thing and I hope you find less resistance in the real world than you have here from this forum.
Fight the good fight. :)

It seems that you might be the latest in a particular type of newcomer.
They enter, make wise, knowing comments, refer to themselves in a gratuitously immodest fashion, don't show actual images anywhere because their work is either too fine to be among the lower classes or they 'fear' it being stolen. Their comments are usually counter to the prevailing opinion and they like to slip in semi-obscure references to show their expertise.

What they don't show is either their images, their personal data or any intent to do the real effort of good c/c.

I look forward to what may be your brief stay.

And, btw,

A smaller opening gives a sharper image. Try looking through your fingertips making a tiny opening to look through.

this comment is only sort of true and is, to a new photographer, very misleading.

Okay folks, I think we're about done here. If anyone has anything meaningful to add to the ORIGINAL POST, by all means, otherwise, let's let this particular dead horse die in peace. Please!

As the OP, I'm glad that this thread was able to foster a lot of good discussion, peppered though it was with dribble.

I'm actually very reasonable when you compare my price to Jose Villa, Jasmine Star, Scott Robert Lim, Lin and Jirsa, Caroline Tran, and all those who are charging $10,000 per wedding hahaha :D j/k

@PersistentNomad , sorry for hijacking your thread. Congrats on your new journey. I'd love to see you continue to do what you truly believe in. Steve Jobs once said, "...the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do."

It seems like if you're at the portfolio building stage that it's too soon to be going into business. Why not continue to second shoot? Try http://asmp.org, there are listings for photographers and assistants. And there are lots of good resources and information there; at least, I've learned a lot. Or PPA may be a better option for resources, or other pro photographers sites geared to weddings.

Even if only one photographer will allow you to use photos you take in your portfolio, then maybe that's one that you can shadow, or observe (with clients' permission of course). Or take a photography class. Or try a camera club, maybe there's one with studio nights or other events that would provide an opportunity for learning and networking (so maybe you'd find photographers to work with as you build a portfolio and bring up your skill level).

I feel like what I see is a need to work on being more aware of your vantage points, getting more practice framing shots effectively to keep clutter in the background out of your pictures, etc. For example the guys tying the tie, look at the mirror, what do you see? Is that what you want in the middle of your composition? Mirrors can be great to use if you keep what's being reflected in mind. In that one and the one in the hallway, there's some odd perspective with doorways etc. In the one of the hug, notice how much space there is above their heads but the arms are just barely in the frame. I found it took lots and lots and lots of practice to get good at framing shots as things are happening.

I would just think it's more likely to be successful by becoming good at what you do instead of providing lower quality work at a low price - that seems to me to be a disservice to clients. By success I don't mean necessarily making a fortune, other local photographers I know don't do that fulltime, they may do local sports, and weddings, and work other jobs. I'm talking as much about doing the best work you can and providing high quality work you can take pride in.

@vintagesnaps I know that I need work on my framing, and a big part of that is the jitters. I am just worried about missing it that I don't always take the time to capture it the way I should. And sometimes it is indeed the only way it gets captured (like in the hugging photo). Anyway, that is part of why I am also working in a retail studio, to get a lot more experience posing and capturing the frame well on the fly. Yay for rambunctious toddlers.

As for maybe I should wait before charging, I'm not a person who puts off something I want to do. It's part of why I failed my sketchbook class (because apparently a sketchbook can only be the rough drafts of final artworks you want to do, not an artwork in its own right). But totally separate from that, everyone has a place where they start and everyone is always getting better (unless they are stagnating) and I don't see a problem with taking the steps to get going when one feels they are ready to take on the challenge.

Most reactions

Back