So here goes nothing................

iphotolyfe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So first time I've posted any of my work on here for critique.

My photography background can be found in my intro thread Newbie Intro

Because of my iPhone style I tend to post process an image more than maybe most would, and so I've tried to reign that back since I bought my DSLR a month ago.

So this is a shot of my lad I took tonight whilst he was playing on the iPad. I like shooting candid when I shoot people.

The picture was shot at f4.5, 1/20 of a second and iso 500 on my D5500 with a Nikkor 55-300mm at 55mm.

All constructive critique welcome.

MEC_1156
by Mike Capener, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

I would have liked to see more light on his face by either adding fill or turning him towards the light source. I know this is a candid image so you couldn't really turn him. Maybe next time you let him use the iPad set it up for him on the ground so you know you'll have light falling on his face. I would have also liked to have seen a bit more frame so the entire iPad was in the frame but I'm just nit picky about curing things off. All in all a nice family candid. Print and enjoy.

Have fun and keep shooting!

You can add more light in post as well.
Nice pic.

It looks good. The areas of light and dark are effective, the moment was an excellent capture.

First and foremost, well done on getting an image that sharp at 1/20! I quite like the exposure here; the highlights are controlled and there's detail in the shadows.

First and foremost, well done on getting an image that sharp at 1/20! I quite like the exposure here; the highlights are controlled and there's detail in the shadows.

Nailed it! My children require 1/500th at a minimum. lol :)

Well done OP! keep'em coming!

Excellent!

Your favored style has a name, and it's called "candid". The definition that I often use is; a photo in which the subject has little or no awareness that a photograph is being taken. It is also one of my favorite styles as well.

So thanks for all your feedback. Theres plenty to think about here.

Jake your insight is valuable, the reality is that the room where the shot was taken is very small and without wishing to distort the face with the a wider lens, I made the best of what I had I hope with the composition and the shortcomings of the context.

Tirediron, the irony is that I kept the shutter speed up in order to reduce the amount grain by not have the ISO too high and subsequently added it in post. A better way forward would have been to bring the ISO right up giving me more chance of getting a sharper shot. Great piece of learning so thanks.

Designer, again thanks for the education, I've updated the original post to a less waffly version :)

Putting your work out there for the first time is a pretty nerve wracking thing, thanks everyone for your honesty, experience and above all for being constructive.

Putting your work out there for the first time is a pretty nerve wracking thing, ..
Heh, heh. I remember my first time. It was at a photography club meeting back in the 1970s. I was not nervous beforehand, but I sure was let down when the commenters began their critique.

Life has its ups and downs. I also have been complimented several times by accomplished pros.

I really like this image. I too am a fan of candids... I like that we can see detail in the shadow area on the right side of his face ... The edge lighting is very flattering to me on his hair and right hand. I would suggest easing up a bit on the vignette, shopping out the bruisy looking spot on the left forearm, and lightening up the dark area under the right eye.

Most reactions

Back