Solution for keeping thousands of old photos

satimis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

Hi all,

I have thousands of old photos captured world-wide in the past. Some of them are digital photos and some of of them are hardcopy photos. I have no problem converting the hardcopy photos to digital on smart phone. But how to store them is really my headache.

Currently I create digital slideshows on them and upload the slideshows to YouTube for sharing. But there will be hundreads of digital slideshows to be created.

I'm now searching for a better solution. Could you please shed me some light? Thanks

Hi all,

I have thousands of old photos captured world-wide in the past. Some of them are digital photos and some of of them are hardcopy photos. I have no problem converting the hardcopy photos to digital on smart phone. But how to store them is really my headache.

Currently I create digital slideshows on them and upload the slideshows to YouTube for sharing. But there will be hundreads of digital slideshows to be created.

I'm now searching for a better solution. Could you please shed me some light? Thanks
I back up digital images by category on external hard drives.

I'm currently managing about 25k of images on three drives. I use a top down directory layout. IE: Master, categories, subcategories etc until I reach the lowest sub level required. Each sub level has the following: 1-RAW, 2-PHOTOSHOP. Using this method automatically sorts image each time I click down to the next lowest level in the directory.

I back up digital images by category on external hard drives.
I don't mean storage. I have no problem to store all of them. But how to search them is my problem.

Regards

I don't mean storage. I have no problem to store all of them. But how to search them is my problem.

Regards

Using a top down directory like I described, let's you see all the files in the drive when you click on the top file name, but as you click on each sub directory down, files are automatically sorted. I use LR and keywords/tags on my images that allows specific searching if the directory tree sort isnt enough.

There are various paid and free Digital Asset Management (DAM) software out there. I have no personal experience with any as LR has always served me well.

If you're okay with using cloud storage, maybe Dropbox would be a good solution for you. Dropbox allows you to tag photos, files, and/or folders. And with the search function, you'd be able to search through your tags.

If you're okay with using cloud storage, maybe Dropbox would be a good solution for you. Dropbox allows you to tag photos, files, and/or folders. And with the search function, you'd be able to search through your tags.
I prefer to store all photos on my computer

By the time you get a couple thousand photo's saved you won't remember what the early one's were unless they were really special. I used to keep photo's on spare disc's but haven't for a long time. What I should do I think is keep them around awhile and decide which ones really are special and store them. My son has hundreds in his phone and has a terrible finding a certain one when he wants to. I doubt he has any idea what he even has in there!

I use Adobe Premiere Elements to create slide /video slide shows. ($100 alone on sale now for $70) Buy Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024

or $150 with Photoshop Elements its companion photo editor. Both programs "talk" to each other and have a very good filing system. You can see some samples on my YouTube pages. YouTube allows public and private viewing. Private is for family only and one has to have the link or password to see them.

I dump them in SD cards and attach them to my smart TV to show a slideshow. All my photos and videos are backed up on an external hard drive operating automatically in the background. 4TB for around $100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back