Some Days . . . .

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Game of the Day: What is in focus?

Don't strain yourself on this one, it isn't worth it. Just laugh at it and "delete". The game is to find out what I focussed on and what plants are in reasonably good focus and which are not. The reason why this is nothing more than a game is because due to breezes, you will find that in the middle of what should be in focus, something won't be. Due to telephoto compression, you can barely tell which parts of which plants are actually too far or too near to be in the depth of field anyway.

The Story:

The flowers are small with blossoms -- around 1" diameter, and I think the cluster was around 2' diameter. The camera was around 5' away (around 1.4M?). I was trying to get most of the flowers within the depth of field, but the depth of field, even at F8 was shallow. Still, I thought that if I could get a fairly large number in focus it would make a good picture. The breeze was not strong, but I did notice that some of the blooms would move randomly. There was nothing I could do about that except take a lot of pictures. I took about 10, with minor changes in focus and small changes in composition. It did not help. When I checked the results, I did not feel that I got what I wanted.

When I checked closely, the depth of field could have been deeper, but to do that meant either higher ISO or longer exposure time. The JPEG did not show any problem with noise, but if you look at the ORF (raw), it is starting to become evident. And yes, I found motion blurring due to the flower movement, randomly throughout the pictures, despite 1/250 sec range exposure times.

Actually, it does not look so bad in this reduced version, but it is not quite what I wanted.

So you guys want shallower depth of field, do you? :)

OMD EM10, Olympus 40-150, F4.0 - 5.6 lens, monopod

"P6260018.JPG"
partial EXIF:
Olympus E-M10
Software Version 1.3
Date and time Jun 26, 2018 17:07:07
Pixel Height 3456
Pixel Width 4008
Component Configuration YCbCr
Color space sRGB
Exposure program Aperture priority
Exposure mode Auto exposure