Some gear questions: Bag, Flash, etc

ssnxp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I recently bought a Lowepro CompuDaypack because I needed a backpack to carry my 17" MacbookPro and my 50D + other gear, eventually. The Daypack holds my laptop OK, but the camera compartment is pretty small. Also, it isn't easily accessible for those "quick" shots.

What would you recommend for a large laptop + ample space for a camera and gear, and easily accessible? I've been looking at the Lowepro Computrekker series, as long as the Vertex and Fastpacks. Something preferably as compact as possible would be great, for days I don't want to carry the laptop around.

I was thinking of getting a small camera bag, since I already have a laptop backpack, but I hate the idea of having to carry around 2 bags if I wanted both with me.

I'm planning on getting a Speedlite 580EX II. Would you recommend a diffuser (Gary Fong) or a "ring flash" type adapter, like the Orbis? Going to use it mainly for general use, maybe some indoor parties. Mostly portraits.

I'm planning on getting a lens hood and a circular polarizer for my 28-135mm kit lens. Would they both fit on the lens at the same time? What brand would you recommend for the polarizer?

Thank you! I have about 20 tabs open right now, trying to read all the reviews/comparisons I can. This is an expensive "hobby!"

Lens hoods and polarizers will fit onto the lens at the same time, but with a hood attached you won't be able to easily reach the thread on the filter to adjust the polarization. There is one workaround which is to go onto ebay and order a screwthread mount lens hood for your lens filter thread size. Then you can screw that into the polarizer filter when its attached.

Settle for nothing less than Crumpler Bags.

I'd look for a Karachi Outpost:
KO03A_img01c2df5522-54d6-4ebe-9b03-aa6e39d8a7b4.jpg

or Whickey and Cox:
WC03A_img01a85504b7-7587-41ea-a91d-01db12c87d8d.jpg

WC03A_img0275396c20-0152-4e8e-ab3b-19c9af8614bb.jpg

Both will hold lots of photo gear and a laptop. Also, both have accessible panels by removing the pack as opposed to the thief behind you stealing your gear. I use Crumpler bags extensively and can easily say they are worth every penny you spend on them.... buying them used.

I have the Sinking Barge, which holds my 15" Macbook, a 40D with a lens, two other lenses and misc stuff, filters, cards etc.

Thanks! I like the Karachi Outpost, since it would fit my 17", but the laptop sleeve looks kind of.. iffy. But I do like that I can just remove it and take my camera equipment alone. Definitely adding it onto my list of maybes!

Any other suggestions?

How much gear exactly do you want to put in it?

Lowepro - Notebook & Camera

That link should be very helpful. I love lowepro bags. they are very good and well made. GL

Hey TJ K, I'm planning on carrying:

17" Macbook Pro + Charger
50D + 28=135mm kit lens
Another lens or two
Grip + Batteries + Charger
Flash + Diffuser (can anyone weigh in on the diffuser/orbis suggestion?)
Tripod
Remote

That's all I can think of right now, but I may throw a few things in there also. The 2 bags that have caught my eye (so far) are the Crumpler Karachi Outpost ($270 MSRP) and the Lowepro Fastpack 350 ($150 MSRP).

It looks like the Karachi has a bit more room, and the removable laptop pouch is growing on me.. but it's a $120 MSRP difference between the two!

Lowepro - CompuTrekker AW
I have the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW and I'm thrilled with it. I can carry 2 bodies, 6 lenses, my laptop/power brick, tripod, memory cards, filters, and food/drinks with room to spare. It's probably safe to say you'll break your back from the weight of your gear before you run out of room in that thing.

If you are interested in that one and you want more info/detailed pictures of it than what you can find on the web, just say the word.

Thanks Jay, The Computrekker was originally one of my first choices, but I researched it and people have said that they can squeeze in a 15" laptop; a 17" is out of the question.

I also looked at the bigger computrekkers, but those things are huge! The flaps on the side are a bit of an overkill for me. I'm really interested in the Karachi right now, I just wish I could find a bargain on it! Do you own one of those?

Thanks again Jay.

Thanks for the link Sinister, I actually have to run and return my current bag (here it is, for comparison: Lowepro - CompuDaypack ) because it's just too small. I'll definitely take a look at those when I get back!

That guy gives a pretty good little walk through of the inside space and compartments enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TJ; I went to Frys and they didn't have the 350, but they did have the 250! I took it over to the laptop section of the store and tried to fit my laptop in; It just barely squeezed in, but it fits. Going to see how I like it for now.. still have my eye on that Crumpler though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back