Some Reptiles

Great stuff Daan! I dig #5!!! All outstanding images!

Thanks!

Thanks for the nice comments :D
#5 are the toes of a Gecko and the green bit in the background is its tail. I couldnt use a flash in this one, since i didnt have my lens to the glass. Took me a couple of shots to get a non-blurry one.

what lens did you use? These pics are so beautiful! Hands down on #2 and #5.

i use the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro, also used the speedlite 430EX with a difuser when i made these pics. Except for #5, no flash used there.

Cool! Have you used sigma 150mm before? I was comparing 105 and 150 and didn't know which one should go. 150 should give me a bit more working distance but IQ wise, I didn't know which one is better. The pic you took gives me enough confidence that 105mm will just do an excellent job. How far away you took them btw?

nope, i only worked with the 105 (and the 70-300 "macro" but that isnt real macro) With animals in tanks (like fish or reptiles) i think your better of with the 105, since 150 is just to long. You can get the background in focus or you have to step back, which will give you a new problem. Cause you will most likely get reflection or glare from the flash in your photo. It depends on were the animals are in the tank, if they were close to the glass i would go and find another model. But it ranges from about 15cm too about 100cm for these pics. But i cropped the pics that were made from a longer distance.
And 105 is a good one for wild bugs too. You still have to get pretty close, but it it doable if you move slow.
All in all, im very happy with the lens :mrgreen:

Thanks for the explanation on #5 and all your comments Dann! Appreciated! When you say "i only worked with the 105 (and the 70-300 "macro" but that isnt real macro)" what do you mean exactly? What's the difference between a real macro and one that isn't?

This isn't a trick question or a challenge or anything - I really have no idea.

the 70-300 has a macro function on it, but it shoots with a 1:2 ratio. The Sigma 105 shoots with a 1:1 ratio, thus making it a true macro lens. The 1:1 bit means that the projection of the subject on the sensor is the same size as the subject itself. 1:2 then means that the subject is twice as big as the projection on your sensor. Hope that makes a bit of sense :)
The 70-300 does get you close, but not as close as i wanted it. Also, if you crop a picture that is made with the 70-300 it isnt as sharp as the 105.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back