Some senior portraits that I did on Saturday

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first time doing a senior portrait set. It was a ton of fun, the girls were great! CC always welcome.

1. Selective coloring, yes, but I thought it was neat for this shot and purple/gold are their school colors
IMG_7066.jpg

2. This girl had beautiful eyes
MariahFront.jpg

3. Having fun on the swings
IMG_7150.jpg

4. Trying to challenge myself with the lighting.
IMG_7033.jpg

#1 is a prime example of why you need to be careful what time of day you take pictures.. there are some bad sun spots on them

in #2 the girls skin looks very pale.. but when you look at other images its not

#3 isnt to bad.. her face is nicely in focus, but the rest of her is off a bit

#4 has some bad lens flare.. (due to the sun being directly in front of you)

I like the highlighting effect with the selective coloring. For me it works. I am not so sure on #4 I have fun with sunflares and sunspots but I am not sure I like the placement in the photos. They also kind of distract me. # 2 is very much a senior picture so it seems right on target. I like #3 but I am curious if your buyers will. Have they seen them yet? I really do love the first one.

Responding to Chris:

It was 4:30 in the evening and shade was limited on the bridge. I knew there would be some dappled light but knew I would take shots on the bridge regardless.

You think she looks pale in the 2nd one? I disagree ;) If I warmed it any more her hair would turn yellow. Thanks for the cc though, I may see my own photos through rose colored glasses.

The 3rd one, I purposfully had a shallow depth of field. Since the shot is from above, I wanted the focus on her head/face and not her chest.

Lastly, the lens flare in #4 was done on purpose ;)

Karen: Thanks for the cc! I'm still working with the whole lens flare thing, I agree that it would be be better placed elsewhere.

No, they haven't seen them yet. I posted a few of my personal favorites but realize that the client may not like them as much. She's probably not looking for a profile of her nose :) but I think it's nice! hehe. I have some other ones that are more flattering of her.

Shooting people is hard because they have their vision and you have yours. That is one thing I don't miss about it. I found that usually people like 1-5 photos out of 20. People are so critical of pictures of themselves. Good luck and many prints your way.

Remembering that this is a senior portrait, and not a spread in Vanity Fair, they all work for me except for the last one (well actually the tilt in #1 I could do without).

And I think my definition of a sun spot is quite a bit more different than Chris's.

i was just giving my opinions on the tech side of the photos.. take it or leave it

And I think my definition of a sun spot is quite a bit more different than Chris's.

very possible.. I dont have all the right terms nailed down yet... some people might call them highlights perhaps??

this is what I call a sun spot..

20090202-rjnu916whm6j6b76uu39pb451w.jpg

The swing shot doesnt really do anything for me as far as a senior portrait goes. The second shot looks like maybe there is an issue with the color I dont know if its saturation or white balance or what.

I do appreacite your CC Chris, I was just responding as to WHY I did certain things. Didn't want you think that I was a dum-dum who didn't notice the lens flare or dappled light. haha. In the bridge photo, it looks down the river to the west. There was doing to be that dappled light no matter what, until the sun went completely down (it was a clear shot to the horizon). The girls loved the bridge so I simply did my best :)

Since this was also my first time doing senior pics, I tried a lot of new things and expiramented with angles, light, etc. I have a TON of images that I will be giving to the client. I probably won't give them the last one for example. That one was for me :)

Sorry if I came off as snotty, it wasn't my intention.

PS- when I had my maternity photos done this summer, I loved almost every image of myself (all 200 that she gave me)....but maybe I'm just vain. HAHA.

Unless my monitor is super advanced, there are no highlight/hotspots in that first picture.

but maybe I'm just vain.

Dear Breanna,

Do you have a twin sister?

Warm Regards,
- ANDS!

right on... i didnt think you were a "dum dum" if your happy with the pics, and the client is, thats all that matters!! keep it up!

as for the maternity shots, we did my wifes in Sept/Oct and she had a hard time with some of the photos, mostly because no matter what I told her, she felt she looked like a cow (my understanding is thats a typical pregnant hormane sort of deal)

right on... i didnt think you were a "dum dum" if your happy with the pics, and the client is, thats all that matters!! keep it up!

as for the maternity shots, we did my wifes in Sept/Oct and she had a hard time with some of the photos, mostly because no matter what I told her, she felt she looked like a cow (my understanding is thats a typical pregnant hormane sort of deal)

I loved my preggo body so much that I did a couple of semi-nudes! :blushing: hahaha

Unless my monitor is super advanced, there are no highlight/hotspots in that first picture.

Dear Breanna,

Do you have a twin sister?

Warm Regards,
- ANDS!

Hey! You're from Sacto?? I recognize the I street bridge in your Flickr :sexywink: I was just there yesterday for some engagment photos!

Most reactions

Back