someone remind me

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To never open a thread that has rule of thirds in it's title.

It is not okay to put everything in one third of a horizontal image and leave the rest totally blank... there is also something called balance. The rule of thirds is all about teaching balance, not using it as an excuse to call an out of balance picture okay. We are teaching a generation of photographers to make bad pictures and I don't give a rats behind who tells you different.

Yes it's fine to do that, if you are going to put it in a magazine and lay words in the blank space. I is not okay to just shoot it as if it is high art.... Okay markc maybe that is just my opinion since i didnt bother to google it but I'm not alone in it.

Yes, I agree that the rule of thirds does not simply mean to put the subject off-center. That is just the start.

The thing is that these days, no one wants to buy a book and read the whole thing. They want to ask a question on a forum and have the easy answers spoon-fed to them.

Sometimes, we will reply with a "concise" definition, which spawns that behavior.

Lastly, some people just don't have an eye for composition. You can show them a well-composed picture, point out why it is well-composed, but they can't re-create that effect in their own images.

Try not to be frustrated by it. Just feel honored that you "get it". :)

sometimes 2 thirds of empty space in an image can be a great thing .. if that empty space means something in a way, or if it has some weight even though empty ... but if i call it "weight" it is about balance again i suppose ;)

To give alex his due....

If a tree sits in a field of grass and the grass takes up the space then it is there for the shot..... I can see it and appreciate that it is techincally empty space but not really.

If I shoot a stack of rifles and leave a blank space to make a poster then the balance will be there but a totally black space with a horizontal image of a person in one third, seldom has any merit at all to me.

Yes a negative can be a positive but a 0 is always a 0 in my opinion. I'm sure some will understand that and some won't.

If I shoot a stack of rifles and leave a blank space to make a poster then the balance will be there but a totally black space with a horizontal image of a person in one third, seldom has any merit at all to me.

what is if the person in the image looks at some point in the empty space ... then it might be that something is created there which justifies to give it some weight.

When Plato met Cartier-Bresson....

It is not okay to put everything in one third of a horizontal image and leave the rest totally blank... there is also something called balance. The rule of thirds is all about teaching balance, not using it as an excuse to call an out of balance picture okay. We are teaching a generation of photographers to make bad pictures and I don't give a rats behind who tells you different.
That's my opinion also.

Okay markc maybe that is just my opinion since i didnt bother to google it but I'm not alone in it.
But would you cut the passive aggressive crap out? Ok, you didn't like that I called you out on stating opinion as fact. Deal.

Most reactions

Back