Sooo.... what Canon-compatible lens (or other gear) should I buy?

Iron Flatline said:
I dunno, this process is not going well for me.

I think the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L is just too heavy. It is almost twice as heavy as my 24-70mm. The newly announced 70-200 f4 IS L is only half as heavy (and lighter than my 24-70!) and I think that will be a major factor. I may have to wait for November.

My thoughts exactly. A whole group of people all for the 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM (I have one too) but all the replies are just simplifying things way too much. I pretty much guessed that it is a bit too heavy for your liking. Its also quite a bit bigger in size than the 70-200 f4L cousin.

The other lens I really wanted is the 85mm f1.2 L, but no matter how frivolous I wanted my purchase to be, I am concerned that I simply can't justify the price vs. my skills. I'd like to own a Ferrari, but it doesn't need to be the Enzo.

Pretty much my thoughts too. I'd like to have the lens but its pretty much frivolous. Don't always fall in the trap of faster aperature is better... most often the DOF is going to be so shallow.. too shallow for your liking. Even when the 50mm f1.0 lens came out, people still found the 50mm f1.4 better in quality.. its the reason why it was discontinued shortly afterwards.

Oh, the agony.

I'm leaving for B&H in an hour. If I get good service there I might end up with a special lens. If the place is overrun (it's Friday) and I get one of the less-friendly guys, I may end up feeling good about having saved some money by NOT buying anything.

My recommendation still remains as previously posted. 24mm TS-E, 50m f1.4 (since you seem willing to spend the $$$), 85mm f1.8, and 70-200 f4L IS USM. Even better, wait for the 70-200mm f4L with IS and go for that instead. Its the most flexible combination with the budgest you specified.

Good luck.

The 70-200 2.8L w/o IS is noticably lighter than the IS version. If you're steady handed you won't miss the IS even at 2.8 and 200mm. I shot 6 hours straight hand held with that lense and it didn't bother me at all. A couple hours with the IS version and I'm done.

So my decision was:

... to do nothing. I want to treat myself, but I'm not sufficiently in love with any of these lenses yet. If I'm going to spend this much money, I want it to be really cool and special. I am going to wait until the new 70-200 f4 IS comes out to evaluate it at that time, and will stash my gift-to-self budget until then.

Thank you all for your help, I will revive this thread when the time comes.

I may sneak in a 50mm f1.4 in the mean time, just as a taste. ;)

Got the 50mm 1.4 from B&H. I'm getting back to LA from Berlin on Thursday, it should be there in time for my return.

so what can you tell me about the Epson Stylus R2400 printer? I am planning on getting a decent film scanner and printer. I have a BFA in photography and I work semi professionally. I have been working on some B&W film portraits for a client recently and was thinking about printing them digitally myself, perhaps as large as 11 x 14. At which point (if one has the money) is it worth getting the Epson Pro 4800 instead?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back