Starry Night

paulocon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Purchased a remote for my Nikon D50 yesterday and spend some of the night outside playing around with star trails.. Great fun and learned plenty for the next attempt.. Here's one of the shots, quite short exposure time (5-6 minutes)..

2828493279_5b9ba1d375.jpg

Larger Version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50277096@N00/2828493279/sizes/l/

Nice shot and an excellent learning curve I'm sure. I was wondering what your aperture you used here though. It's just that the star seem very out of focus, having never done this myself I don't know how well you can get them in focus. Wouldn't a smaller aperture and a longer shutter speed make the star trails thinner? (Genuine question btw)

Nice shot and an excellent learning curve I'm sure. I was wondering what your aperture you used here though. It's just that the star seem very out of focus, having never done this myself I don't know how well you can get them in focus. Wouldn't a smaller aperture and a longer shutter speed make the star trails thinner? (Genuine question btw)

Hi,

Settings were as follows:
Exposure: 544 sec
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200

The stars will indeed appear thinner with a smaller aperture - I took some more at another spot with a different apertures with differing results.. Great fun altogether!

Most reactions

Back