Storage

ducatiman1967

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if this question has been asked or not . As I take more and more digital photo I'm realizing that I'll soon run out of space. What is the best approach, saving as a jpeg, using a hard drive array ? How does everyone store there keepers ? Is there a preferred software for cataloging images ?

Thanks in advance!

Multiple copies on multiple hard drives, stored in multiple locations. Software used is whatever works for you.

Format? Shoot in raw. If space is an issue, convert to Tif, but memory is cheap... you can get 2tb of hard drive space for less than $100 USD.

^^^ Yes, definitely shoot in raw and save the files. As you learn you will find you want to reprocess some images, so you don't want to have only a jpg. I usually save the original raw file, the tiff file I get from raw conversion, and the psd file I make in PS.

I only save the current few months worth of pictures on my HD. Everything else is stored on a dedicated external drive. That includes the RAW files as well as the converted JPEG files. As for what file system I use, it's my own that's extremely flexible, yet easy to use. As long as I have the external HD attached to my computer while editing, Capture NX 2 treats it just like any other drive.

Multiple copies on multiple hard drives, stored in multiple locations. Software used is whatever works for you.

Format? Shoot in raw. If space is an issue, convert to Tif, but memory is cheap... you can get 2tb of hard drive space for less than $100 USD.

^ This

I have copies of my images on both my primary desktop and another desktop (server). A backup process runs every night to copy my images from my desktop to my server. If one fails I will still have pictures. The server also has a raided drive array and backs itself up also

Another more simple solution is to do online backups. This will cost money depending on how much you want to backup. Carbonite is a more popular one around here. Its easier and much more user friendly and the system I use.

I got tired of backing up my files, and having an offset backup to upkeep so switched over to an online storage service. I use crash plan since it doesnt throttle upload speeds after 300 GB like carbonite does.
so far its been working ok.

I'm not a big fan of online storage. I thought about it, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of having my images, or other important data stored on a site that I have to rely on a IP, at both ends, and that the site is up and running correctly as well. In today's world of hackers, if they can hack into banks, major corp., branches of the gov't, and the military, it's not that far a stretch that they can access anything they want to, and do what they wish, for what ever reasons they deem necessary. Keeping my images on a external drive that I have complete control of just seems the most rational way to go. Worst case scenario if the drive starts to show signs of giving up the ghost, just replace it.

480sparky said:

....finally lol

Or grab an external HDD place the photos on that drive disconnect, simple and safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back