Student asking for critique

arterture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im actually a fine arts major, and I had taken a photography class last semester. Here are a couple night shots that I had taken for a couple series that I had put together. I would like to know what everyone thinks and if i could get any advice, tips, or whatever.

nightbridge.jpg

This is a shot of the north Grand Island bridge here in Niagara Falls.

walkinthepark.jpg

This is a shot of me and my girlfriend walking in Niagara Falls state park.

heh, just read the guidelines for this forum. Well, since im a beginner, I am still interested on what people think of the shots. I am asking for a critique, without any known problems with the images. Is that allowed?

I think the first one could use a little more contrast.
The second one, the light is a little to bright, kinda distracting, and the people in the shot look like ghosts.
However. On the first one, I like love the composition. Nice work. Keep at it.

DramaDork626 said:
I think the first one could use a little more contrast.
The second one, the light is a little to bright, kinda distracting, and the people in the shot look like ghosts.
However. On the first one, I like love the composition. Nice work. Keep at it.

Well, the people (me and my girlfriend) look like ghosts because of the long exposure, which I knew was going to happen. I think using stop action on the people would have resulted in the loss of the ambience that I was shooting for.

i like the bridge pic. the other is not that interesting to me. maybe it would be better if the people were more prominent. too much empty night sky that isn't really framing much of anything.

My boyfriend and I agree that we'd pay to have the bridge photo hanging in our home. Fantastic work.

Since the first one looks like it was the symmetry of the two lanes you tried to capture, I think you should have made it totally symmetric, but if you look at the top corners, you see that it is not.

So if I were asked to be nitpicky, I would say that that irritates me.

In real life, though, I am far from being a nitpicky person, so I must say I really like that view, the fact that it is a nighttime photo, the use of lines and lights as dots and the motif as such! :D

Nice work! The grain of the b&w is just right. The ONLY thing I can suggest is on that first shot, crop just a hair so that the two tops corners of the birdge are identical on both sides but this is just post processing. The shots are great!

Scott

Most reactions

Back