Studio Prop, newborn hanging from a tree branch?

I am thinking I might try bamboo instead and get a few and tie them together.

Please PLEASE please if you go this route practice a TON on a non-real baby!

Soooo many photographers are doing and redoing this pose for newborns, and while it's very cute, there is a TON of risk involved. In my opinion, there are way to many who try this without taking proper safey measure and/or having somebody familiar with the pose "spot" them. Just having mom there "helping" is not enough..it needs to be somebody who knows what they're doing speciffically. A mom is more likely to just stand, nod and accept whatever you're asking her to do without completely understanding the pose and the safety that NEEDS to be involved.

*steps off soapbox.*

...and as such, the need for liability insurance for your "business".

Have you thought about Photoshop? Way safer for the baby no matter how high he needs to be. All he/she needs to do is look cute, and I doubt that would be any trouble. Just a thought.

...The only question is how are you going to mount it? ...But you'll have to deal with that no matter what.

I'm imagining a frame that you could lay the limb in (the frame would not be visible in the picture, obviously), and maybe secure it with a few screws so the limb can't slide out. That's probably something you would have to build yourself......

You could actually cut down 2 branches and put them together, tie your cloth around it and clip the ends in the back so they don't show.

Or do what i do, and have Mama hold the cloth, wrap the ends around her hand so it looks like a knot, and use photoshop to edit out the rest of her arm, and place a branch behind the knot. try shutterstock.com for photos of a branch...

I actually just did this again today - and you should see the final result here in a week or so: blushcreativephotography[dot]com

Hope you figure it out! These are awesome photos!
I don't usually answer people on forums asking for help with photos - Just experiment with doing it different ways until you find the easiest way for you! Personally, I already bring so much to my sessions - i don't need to bring a big huge branch.

as far as mounting it, Lay a blanket on the floor, and put chairs on either side. then just lay the branch over the chairs. When you tie your knot, you'll tie it super tight and pull down on it to make sure it doesn't come undone, or hang down too far when a baby is in it.
If you're having Mom hold the cloth, make sure you lay the baby in the cloth first, and at the last minute pick it up about 3 - 5 inches off the blanket/ground so baby is only mid-air for a few seconds while you shoot away! :)

On Facebook look up Amy Cook Photography, she does wicked newborn stuff and is 100% about newborn safety. She has posted how too etc and most of the cute newborn pics are composites and she had how too's on that sort of stuff. Just a suggestion, you might not like her work but I do and she seems super nice and knowledgable.

Please PLEASE please if you go this route practice a TON on a non-real baby!

Soooo many photographers are doing and redoing this pose for newborns, and while it's very cute, there is a TON of risk involved. In my opinion, there are way to many who try this without taking proper safey measure and/or having somebody familiar with the pose "spot" them. Just having mom there "helping" is not enough..it needs to be somebody who knows what they're doing speciffically. A mom is more likely to just stand, nod and accept whatever you're asking her to do without completely understanding the pose and the safety that NEEDS to be involved.

*steps off soapbox.*

I agree. Safety first.

question.... How many babies have you heard of being hurt? It's a valid argument. But you said there are too many who try this without taking proper safety measures. Just wondering how many injuries there have been.

Maybe I'm not getting it, but doesnt sound secure. Sounds more like you need a plant hanger hook. Do you have a link that works to another image that is done with a branch? http://capturedbycarrie.com/blog/2009/08/07/newborn-twins-orange-county-photographer/

PS: from what I have read, this requires a beanbag either just touching the baby's behind or just below it and then edited out, similiar to the "head propped up on arms" shots. I'm intrigued, must read more.

last link http://www.takeoffyourmommygoggles.com/2011/02/04/hanging-babies/

I would just use a regular branch, you could actually do these shots with them lying on a bean bag and the cocoon fabric stretched. Edit out bean bag later. Interesting.

Last edited:
Have you considered doing the shoot outside instead of in the studio? If you can find a nice Southern Live Oak in a park, I think that would be a fantastic setting. On mature trees, the branches are very strong and hang quite low to the ground, so it would be much safer than having a rig in the studio that's even the very slightest bit iffy. Additionally, the moss and ferns that grow on the branches of lives trees is quite beautiful, and more natural looking than anything you would be able to buy. I don't know how feasible an outdoor shoot is for you, but I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Holy this is an old post!

I figured it out, and it is a composite shot.... thanks though.

So post the shot you got....lol

Most reactions

Back