Suggestions on Canon 10D upgrade; 70D & 70-200 f4, T6s & 18-135, or 80D

jdarling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I (obviously) haven't upgraded in a long time and I'm due for one now. But I'm stuck between three rocks and a hard place.

Firstly, I love the heft of the 10D, the anodized body, and the weather sealing. I shoot a lot of outdoor photography and shoot a lot at my sons cross country riding events (talking about horses here, so in and out of wooded areas, rain, snow, etc). So I want something that will keep up in these conditions. Also find myself in low light situations in the arena shooting training and lessons quite frequently. Of course there are always the normal family snapshots too ;).

I want to be able to shoot video with the camera, and that is my main reason for upgrading the body.

My current lens selection is pretty dismal, and honestly not too impressive. Canon 50mm f1.8, kit 28-80 3.5-5.6, and a 75-300 4-5.6

Budget is $1,200

My thoughts right now are one of the following:

Refurbished 70D with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

T6s with the 18-135 USM

Refurbished 80D body only

Thoughts, options I missed, would you do something else?

I meant to say 700D with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

I thought that the 18-135 STM was a decent zoom lens for consumer/casual video? The 70-200 f/4-L USM IS has in-lens stablizier, and balances GREAT on the 6D or 50D Canon, based on my experience, and it is a very,very good lens optically: a little bit better than older f/2.8 models, since it is like, 20 years newer than the first 2.8 model and notably better than the original f/4-L NON-IS model. The f/4 70-200 is MUCH smaller and MUCH easier to carry than any f/2.8 model 70-200, that is one major thing to keep in mind.

Would the 70-200 be okay for longer-range video? Like at horse events? Either way: the 70-200 is a narrow angle of view, tele-zoom on ANY crop-frame, and the 18-135 is an all-in-one option.

No matter what camera you end up buying, I do think the refurbished model makes a large degree of sense.

My thoughts on getting the 70-200 is that my 75-300 is a little soft on the focus, actually its very soft at times, though that could be the age of the body showing as I know its out of tune.

I'm more looking at the 70-200 for static shots. Just starting to get into the idea of taking videos as my wife doesn't get to attend all events and would like "more video's." We have a powershot as well that does video, but the quality and zoom make it basically useless.

I find that most of the time I'm in the 135mm range when shooting at events, we can actually get quite close if we are fast enough to get across the fields (being old, fat, and bald, this isn't always the case :D)

I know the old adage seems to always have been "spend your $$ on your lens", and this isn't something I've had the opportunity to do in the past. On the other hand, the 80D seems to have a ton of improvements over previous models. I've even thought of doing the body only option and saving up to add a better lens in the future.

Guess I should have mentioned my budget is $1,000-1,500 US of course the closer to 1,000 I can stay the better ;)

Canon's 75-300mm have a horrendous reputation. It's probably the only case where if someone online says they're not getting sharp images, I go straight to blaming the equipment. Replacing it with anything is a given. I doubt there's anything wrong with any 70-200mm L lens, but I don't know much about the 70-200mm f/4L that doesn't have IS. Either way, check out sample images on sites like DPReview and Pixel Peeper; don't go by what others say about image quality, when you can let your eyes be the judge. There's also the inexpensive Canon 55-250mm STM.

I'd probably go with a used 70D in your situation, even if your budget allows for a new 80D. It's such a huge jump from the 10D in, well, everything, that you'd be better off spending the rest on lenses or anything else.

Thanks Ido, yeah the 75-300 is junk, about the only thing its good for is when I take the kids to the zoo. I don't have to worry about if they drop it. Son just started doing the corss country/eventing and that's what pushes me to get a nice (or nicer) telephoto. Before this year I hardly ever used anything but the 50mm 1.8 and generally get perfectly acceptable results from it for my needs.

I had a much nicer lens but one of the kids broke it, so I bought the 75-300 as a filler for $20 when a local camera place went out of business.

Honestly if it were not for the want of video I wouldn't bother upgrading the 10D either, it still does everything I "need" in a still camera.

I agree, forget the 75-300
55-250 STM and refurbished 80D should work

Thanks everyone, I actually got "lucky" and found an 80D new in the box with the 18-135 in the return bin for $900 US. Must say I'm very happy with it so far. Now saving up for the 70-200 L. Honestly never thought a kit lens could be this good.

75-300 is a paperweight.
70-300 L is another good alternative.
You can always buy images from the photographer covering the event.

Most reactions

Back