Suggestions

CamJC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on what I can and cannot do on my Sony A65. I am wondering if anyone has it and is willing to offer me tips and tricks, and what editing software I should use/tutorials on it as well. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't do anything with it if you don't get out there and push your boundaries. Once you do then you can push the camera's boundaries Best read available.

Read it twice.

I am looking for suggestions on what I can and cannot do on my Sony A65. I am wondering if anyone has it and is willing to offer me tips and tricks, and what editing software I should use/tutorials on it as well. Thank you for your time.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
In fact it is much easier to answer what you can´t do with your camera. That may be just one or two things - usually depending on focus speed (and even for that there are workarounds) . Almost anything else can be done with a DSLR.
The limiting factors (technically) usually are lenses and light.
What is it that you like to do? Portraits, Macro, long telephoto shots, or maybe Milky way photography?
I don´t own that camera, so no great tips on this side.
But I have become a big fan of lightroom recently. For years I have only used it to make basic adjustments and do the rest in photoshop. But in fact lightroom is some areas is more powerful than photoshop.

Its a camera, it can do what every other camera does, the limitations are first and foremost in you, the better you will be as a photographer the better the results will be.

Few things it will not do well ?
A ball in a soccer game
A knife
A house
A phone
And much more

Things it can do well ?
Take pictures

That's kind of wide open question.

The a65 has a really fast frame rate, which opens up a few possibilities. But really, what you can do with that camera is very much like what you can do with almost any camera. And what you can't do, same thing: just like any other camera. That body is a light-proof box around a sensor. Your lenses and lighting are more interesting as far as defining new and interesting things you can do. Do you have a tripod?

Without knowing what you may have already done, or even what your interests are, we can only supply a generic list of ideas: self-portraits, silhouettes, sunsets, sunrises, landscapes, light painting, panoramics, panning, close-up/macro, long exposures, etc.

Things to NOT do would include underwater photography (without a housing) or the terminal velocity of that camera as measured from a hi-rise building.

In fact it is much easier to answer what you can´t do with your camera. That may be just one or two things - usually depending on focus speed (and even for that there are workarounds) . Almost anything else can be done with a DSLR.
What is it that you like to do? Portraits, Macro, long telephoto shots, or maybe Milky way photography?
But I have become a big fan of lightroom recently. For years I have only used it to make basic adjustments and do the rest in photoshop. But in fact lightroom is some areas is more powerful than photoshop.

I would love to get into Night photography (Milky Way, it's very beautiful in Minnesota) urban photography, and landscapes are also an interest.

I would love to get into Night photography (Milky Way, it's very beautiful in Minnesota) urban photography, and landscapes are also an interest.
Cool, that´s a start I´d say.
For Milky way/night photography, you need a tripod. You can shoot interesting urban night scenes too on a tripod, like this one:
night.jpg

But if you live in a remote area, the milky way is something to watch out for. Check a light pollution map, do some reading on the 500 rule and focussing and you´ll be out shooting in no time. If you want to locate the milky way in the night sky, try some apps. My preferred one is photopills - it is not free, but it helps you with many aspects of photography.

Yep. You can do all of those. And there are oodles of different ways to do each genre.

How good they turn out is far and away about your knowledge and skill relate to doing photography.
For urban and landscape photography a good understanding of how light direction/quality and composition make a good or a bad photo are critical. See post #9 - Oregon Coast

For night photography and the Milky Way a good technical understanding of how your camera works and how the Earth's rotation seems to make the night sky move are important.

Lastly, post production photo finishing is needed for presentation of the final image.

None of the above is rocket science but there is a learning curve, because it's about way more than the camera and lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back