Swapping from Canon 5D Mkiv to Sony A7R IV

Whittle1000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone.

Im looking for a little help with a potential move to Sony.

I currently own a Canon 5D mkiv and I’m considering trading this in for the Sony A7R IV. Currently I have a couple of L series lenses for the 5D so it’s not a lens decision.

The Sony is far lighter and smaller than the Canon of which I’m attracted to although the Sony has higher pixels I suspect the file sizes are pretty huge too. The articulated screen is also a plus on the SONY,
I’m a bit of an all rounder when subjects are concerned but mainly landscape, wildlife and preserved railways are my topic.

I wondered if anyone out there has done similar and what their experience has been.

Many thanks Andy.

There is no articulating screen on the RIV. Tilt screen only.

File size issues are a non issue in that camera, UHS-II cards and flash storage is basically being given away these days. Only thing is the buffer isn't amazing.

Hi everyone.

Im looking for a little help with a potential move to Sony.

I currently own a Canon 5D mkiv and I’m considering trading this in for the Sony A7R IV. Currently I have a couple of L series lenses for the 5D so it’s not a lens decision.

The Sony is far lighter and smaller than the Canon of which I’m attracted to although the Sony has higher pixels I suspect the file sizes are pretty huge too. The articulated screen is also a plus on the SONY,
I’m a bit of an all rounder when subjects are concerned but mainly landscape, wildlife and preserved railways are my topic.

I wondered if anyone out there has done similar and what their experience has been.

Many thanks Andy.
I retired from full-time employment in 2009. At the time I was using a Canon 5dmkii. It didn't take long for the 5d to start spending a lot of time in the closet. I had a small pocket compact and it quickly became my only camera. Move ahead to 2012 and I wanted to take a photo that needed the 5d so I got it out. My wife says, "Where'd you get that camera?" Me: "I've had it for years." Wife: "I don't remember ever seeing it." Me: "It's been in the closet for awhile." Wife: "What did that one cost." Me: "About 4 grand with the lenses." Wife: "And you don't use it? You need to sell that thing."

She was right. Maybe if I upgraded to an APS sensor camera I might use it more so I started shopping. My teacher taught me right and I learned rule #1: Lenses take photos and cameras hold film. So I started shopping for lenses. Most important to me would be a super wide with an 80 degree angle of view so I started looking for a lens with as little distortion as I could find. I was soon shocked to encounter the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 reviewed to have zero distortion! That's not possible I said to myself still thinking in DSLR mode. Then it hit me; it's designed for a camera without a mirror! Of course! No bleep bleepin bleep mirror means the lens doesn't have to be a retro-focus distortion dog! I bought that lens and a camera to go with it.

2024: I have a Fuji X-T2 and X-T4 and I still have that 14mm f/2.8 along with some other great lenses. I also have a FF Nikon Z7 (Not my fault someone gave it to me). It's in the closet. I do use my Fuji X-T2 a fair amount, used it yesterday in fact. But I also have a Canon G7xmkii compact which is hands down my main camera. Where I go it goes. I use it twice as much as the other cameras combined.

You're thinking of switching from a DSLR to mirrorless. I hadn't planned that until I found that 14mm zero distortion lens and ended up with a mirrorless camera by default. But for sure there's no way you could get me to willfully switch back to a DSLR. I'm mirrorless spoiled now. I like wide angle and I now have two wide angle lenses that are distortion free -- not possible with a DSLR. I've become accustomed to the live-view exposure aids in mirrorless EVFs and don't want to have to work without them. I am now used to being able to nail a perfect raw sensor exposure first time every time with no need to bracket or second guess the meter or chimp and re-adjust. I very much like the smaller lighter cameras and not only am I happy with APS-C I'm frankly quite happy with the 1" sensor in my G7. I like having an excellent camera with me at all times.

Most reactions

Back