T2i Lens Recommendations

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I just recently purchased a Canon T2i body with an 18-55mm kit lens. I know I should probably just save up and progressively buy lenses, which I plan to do. But, I was wondering if there might be a few lenses that would be useful in the mean time in addition to the kit lens? I really like macro photography and I was thinking for the short term buying either a set of extension tubes, a reverse lens mount and/or a set of diopters. I'm currently away at school and I have an older Canon T50 with a few FD lenses at home, I was wondering if it might be worth getting an FD to EF adapter. I found a few on ebay, but I'm not entirely sure which lenses in particular I should be keeping an eye on. Also, I've seen fixed focal reflex (telescope?) lenses that tend to be on the cheaper side.

The lenses I am planning to save up for are the:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I know that it usually falls back to the old adage of "you get what you pay for", but I'm just looking for something to tide me over until I can save up for more expensive lenses.

PS. One of the lenses I saw on Ebay was the:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-70MM-28-70-3-5-4-5-SIGMA-UC-IN-CANON-EF-MOUNT-FILM-CAMERAS-ONLY-153235-/380521703673?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5898dc68f9

Any opinions?
Also, would any of the cheaper lenses here be worth purchasing?
http://www.rockycameras.com/canon-ef-autofocus-lenses-73-c.asp

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get the 50mm asap! Probably one of the lenses I have the most fun with. Especially for the price, but thats just me..

What fd lenses do you have?

There is a fd to ef on amazon that is decent. It has glass in it to use the fd lenses for the focal length they are( times 1.4 or so)
But
The glass is also removable, making your fd lenses be on an extension tube. Therefore about 30 bucks will get you more lens choices and do some entry level macro stuff

I'm not entirely sure as to what FD lenses there are, but I think there is a wide angle (35mm?), a 50mm, and a telephoto (70-200mm?) not sure on apertures.

Get Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
I also have and the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III it's kinda good lens sometimes but when you need someting fast, not that much at all, it focus very slow, slower than the kit, very slow.

You can see some photos here shoot with 75-300 Flickr: Universeal's Photostream

Most reactions

Back