Taking a photograph like shooting a gun?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by dtzitko, Nov 26, 2009.

1. dtzitko

dtzitko TPF Noob!

I was in the bathroom just a bit ago and for whatever reason compared firing a rifle to taking a picture. Being a beginner at this photography thing I wonder what you more experienced types do when taking a photo. There's the obvious, making sure the focus is right, composition, etc. But the act of pressing the shutter.

When firing a rifle, I relax, control my breathing, acquire my target, release a breath, squeeze the trigger just after the last bit of air leaves my lungs, and the bullet fires. Do you guys take measures like these when taking photos? I wouldn't expect them to be as pronounced/defined. Just a random thought I had while on the pot.

Discuss.

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    it is a good thing to do.
    years ago , sometime in the 60's i had a telephoto lens that was on a "gunstock" and it was basically the same as firing a rifle

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to shoot competitively and that's exactly what I do.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, absolutely.

In photography, it comes down to shutter speed. If you have a fast enough shutter speed, it will freeze the movement of the camera (and maybe movement of the subject), thus giving you a nice crisp photo.
    When you are holding the camera, there will be some degree of movement. The rule of thumb for safe shutter speeds while holding the camera, is 1/focal length. So if you are shooting with a 100mm lens, you would want a shutter speed of at least 1/100....and so on. Some say that you must add the crop factor into that equation, so for a typical Canon DSLR, you would want a shutter speed of 1/160 with that 100mm lens.

Remember that this is only a rule of thumb. If you are steady, you should be able to get clean shots at slower shutter speeds. Anything you can do, to steady your body will help. It starts with good posture and technique but it can also be things like leaning against something or sitting, kneeling, laying down etc. And yes, proper breathing does help as well.

Of course, when slower shutter speeds are required (or when optimum quality is desired) the use of a good tripod is the way to go.

*edit*
    This is probably why I sometimes find myself out of breath when I'm really 'into' a photo shoot and I'm taking a lot of shots in a short period of time. I don't even realize that I'm controlling my breathing too much.

5. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should try controlled breathing slightly different. Inhale, exhale, and inhale until you bring your sight up onto the target and pause. Then fire. Complete the inhaling, exhale, and then inhale and pause again midway into your inhale when you find the target again. But too each his own.

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, shooting rifles and cameras are very similar and I often employ the same techniques in each.

7. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I know people who, not wanting the meat from a deer/elk/moose, whatever, that "hunt" using this technique.

The thrill is in the hunt, not the kill, as many people believe.

Anyway, a camera mounted on a rifle type stock is used to "hunt" with. When one can track one of these wiley critters, and get a "shot", it's proof that they have the skill's needed to hunt the animal, without the kill.

This is especially popular with people who "hunt" very difficult to track animals, such as mountain lion, etc. The stalk is made, the "shot" is taken, and no one dies, unless it's the hunter. Everyone, including the "prey" goes home happy.

J.:mrgreen:

8. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like fun.

I think I would still pack a .44 to avoid that last part...

9. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Breathing diagrammatically will cut down the movement in your upper body significantly. I breathe like that all the time, as it's integral to playing a wind instrument. Only problem is all that stillness in my upper torso leads to significant tension in my muscles (i.e. nasty pain and back problems).

On the flip side, you don't have to stop breathing. :lol:

10. CupCakeCommando

CupCakeCommando TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    at longer exposures i hold my breath and hold my camera sorta like a pistol in the way you press right hand in your left to steady the weapon. but on my camera i press on the back of the grip to where the area just below the lens puts pressure in my left hand and helps me stay steady.

11. dtzitko

dtzitko TPF Noob!

I like shooting at the bottom of my breath, I have pretty good results too. But yes, I breath a few times before squeezing.

12. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no wonder i like photography and guns :lmao: