Tecali, or another time for practicing Portraits. Help really appreciated!

r0r5ch4ch

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

we made a little weekend trip to Tecali de Herrera. Its a very little town about 50 driving minutes from Puebla away. It is very famous for its mines of onix stone. A beautiful, shiny and little transparent stone which is used for many lamps which are creating a beautiful warmish color.

I went out with my Samyang 135mm f2, which means it was always hard to get the right focus. But at least in every series I got one shot I liked and for me the focus was good. I always shot wide open, so it made it even harder.

I really try to improve my portrait skills. My goal is, as from every portrait photographer, to create unique portraits.

Here the first three and my favorites from the series. Please let me know anything to improve myself. No matter if post-processing, shooting or anything else.

#1 - Caged:
Caged by Tobias Zimmermann, auf Flickr

#2 - Sleeping Beauty:
Sleeping Beauty by Tobias Zimmermann, auf Flickr

#3 - The Look
The Look II by Tobias Zimmermann, auf Flickr

I am looking forward to your comments and tipps!

Greeting

Tobias

No real tips, except to place the active AF square carefully, and to make SURE it focuses well.

The content of #1 is exceptional. It could use a bit of lightening on the face. This may even be a tiny bit better as a B&W/Sepia. #2 is of a sleeping women ... how hard it that, lol ... (but you did nail the focus on a stationary subject). #3 is very nice, you captured a genuine look ... a bit of surprise and a lot or warmth. Well done.

I am assuming that the Samyang is manual focus.

Insgesamt gut getan.

PS- Try working with shadows and highlights to give your portraits more drama and personality. As the photographer, you must master light, position yourself in order for the light to bend to your wishes. Light comes in all shades of quality. Feel the light.

Look at the light.

Punk-Movie-Director---HP-M.jpg

G-Peck-UE-M.jpg

P-Garner-1-HP-M.jpg

A%20shirt-M.jpg

(all handheld/available light)

@Derrel, thanks. Yes, it is soo hard to focus well with this lens. But if it works out, the shots are amazing.

The content of #1 is exceptional. It could use a bit of lightening on the face. This may even be a tiny bit better as a B&W/Sepia. #2 is of a sleeping women ... how hard it that, lol ... (but you did nail the focus on a stationary subject). #3 is very nice, you captured a genuine look ... a bit of surprise and a lot or warmth. Well done.

I am assuming that the Samyang is manual focus.

Insgesamt gut getan.

Thanks Gary, yes the lens is total manual focus. I will definitiv try to put more light on the face of sofi, thanks for the hint. I will try to make a BW copy, lets see how I like it.

PS- Try working with shadows and highlights to give your portraits more drama and personality. As the photographer, you must master light, position yourself in order for the light to bend to your wishes. Light comes in all shades of quality. Feel the light.

(all handheld/available light)

They are really a lot more skilled with light and shadow. I will try to make that different last time. Thanks for the Tipp!

Nice shots. I'd Dodge and brighten the whites of the eyes and a little less of a Dodge on the golden highlights of the person in #1.

"Caged" is quite nice. Wish I could see the child just a little better though.

Most reactions

Back