Technically Amazing Movies?

How has no one mentioned "Lawrence of Arabia??????" Freddie Young's beautiful 70 mm masterpiece has crisp desert scenes and incredible details. I pretty much wanted to live in the desert after I saw it as a 12 year old.

Baraka ~ Must-see art film/world documentary

Picked the Blu-ray of this up on sale for $7.95 right after buying a BD player. Put the disk in and was absolutely STUNNED.

Crisp, CRISP detail, beautiful compositions, breathtaking visuals.

the fall directed by tarsem singh
this is one of the most breathtakingly made films i have ever seen, the visuals and colours are absolutely amazing, the locations and cinematography is beyond this world, watch it, AMAZING!
Also the imaginarium of dr. Parnassus is great, an absolute visual delight!:D
hope this helps

The Fountain and There Will Be Blood. Both visuals are really great, though very different from one another.

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.

Timeless camera work by the great Conrad Hall but NOT just for cinematographers!

Last edited:
Here's the clip; start watching at 3:20 or so until the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a noob when it comes to the technical aspects of movies but the first one that came to my mind was "Apocalypse Now".

We used to always use that to 'op check' the entertainment system on business jets, lol. Particularly the beach raid scene with the Ride of the Valkyries playing, lol.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like, victory"

Can some movie nut please try to explain what is meant by "Amazing Technical Value"? Thread seems to beg a listing of people's favorite movies which may or may not be "Technically Amazing".

You may be a noob where movies are concerned but you picked a great one.

The opening scene is an absolute masterpiece. The shot of the ceiling fan with the sound of the choppers mixed in with "The End", wow! Very powerful intro.

But overall, it has amazing dialogs, some amazing photography, very good story, amazing acting and amazing soundtrack. Not just the music that was picked but the quality of the sound. When I put together my first home theater, it was the DVD I used to check out the speakers because the surround is so good.

Last but not least is the feeling that comes across. The insanity that was the Vietnam War comes at you loud and clear. :D

I do agree though that some of the films mentioned are more favorites than technically amazing. And I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned "The Seven Samurai." As noted in the review linked below: "Akira Kurosawa is such a complete master of technical filmmaking that his technique rarely calls attention to itself. Every subtle lighting choice, every camera position or movement, every use of deep focus, wide angle lenses, or extreme close up so tightly serves the narrative of his story, you don’t tend to consider until afterwards what a cinematic marvel the picture is."

This movie has had an enormous influence on my photography. What an amazing use of DOF, what an amazing attention to detail. To the point that some people thought he had goofed when, in fact, he was correct. This from the imdb write up: "Audio/visual unsynchronized: When samurai or bandits are shot with muskets, the bullet strikes before the sound of the distant gunshot is heard. This is technically correct and it is a feature of other Kurosawa films, such as Kagemusha, although it gives the false impression that people are being shot before the guns are discharged."

Seven Samurai Review

I've been hesitant to post because this isn't a movie. Hawaii 50 has the most amazing colors in their shows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back