Teenagers at a Carnival

Rick Waldroup

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.rickwphotography.com
96554041.jpg

...does that girl have a goatee???

Did you notice the unibrow on the other gal? Pretty funny. I like the shot except for the guy peeking in on the upper left.

Did you notice the unibrow on the other gal? Pretty funny. I like the shot except for the guy peeking in on the upper left.

Yeah, I noticed the girl with the unibrow. I don't know if these gals had their faces painted at the carnival or if they painted their faces themselves. It looks like they painted their own faces.

I debated about whether to leave the guy peeking in or take him out. I decided to leave him in.

I'm glad you left the guy in- His eyes look freakish. Looks like they were having fun- especially the girls.

Actually I thought the guy peeking in was the best part. :wink:

So I gotta know, did you just walk up and snap a photo or did you tell them they look ridiculous and you wanted proof of a girl with a goatee?

So I gotta know, did you just walk up and snap a photo or did you tell them they look ridiculous and you wanted proof of a girl with a goatee?

Well, I basically just walked up, dropped down on one knee, and fired away. Also, I was fairly close when I shot it.

Why, I would never tell those lovely young girls they look ridiculous. :wink:

I"d always wondered about the "right" to walk up and just fire away. I always feel uncomfortable just snapping pictures of people I don't know.

I do like this photo though and I agree that the guy in the left side of the picture really brings a sense of fun to the scene.

I"d always wondered about the "right" to walk up and just fire away. I always feel uncomfortable just snapping pictures of people I don't know.

I do like this photo though and I agree that the guy in the left side of the picture really brings a sense of fun to the scene.

I have been a street shooter for many, many years and after a while you learn to develop a sort of 6th sense when it comes to shooting people in public. Usually, most street shooters go for candids in which the person being shot has no idea someone is taking their picture. I shoot like that as well, but I also like to engage the subject evrery now and then. I use a combination of both methods.

I had been watching the group for a few minutes and noticed how lively and playful the girls were but I did not see the shot I wanted. So, I just walked up and got down on one knee and sure enough, the gals started playing to the camera and I got the shot I wanted. You can see that the fellow wearing the cap is eyeing me somewhat suspicously, so after I got the shot, I smiled and gave them my card. I find that if you are very direct and smile a lot, most folks understand what you are trying to do. However, every now and then, you will come across someone who does not want their picture taken, and will let you know, and I just lower the camera, smile, and move on. :hail:

And as far as the guy peeking in? That was a complete fluke. Normally, I am very aware of what is going on in my framing of the shot I am taking, but I think he stuck his head in at the very moment I snapped the shutter and I never saw him until I got home and loaded the photos in the computer.

Thanks Roger. Yeah, that one guy is giving me the once over, but that is okay, he and his buddy are going to have their hands full with their girlfriends.:wink:

Most reactions

Back