Test shots Yashica Mat 124G

Joel Bolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Received a Mat 124G the other day and ran a quick test roll of Kodak Gold200 through it. On the first two shots I was using the 140mm Tele lens. The subject was the Eagle Ironworks furnace complex and some of the housing. The furnace was started in 1831 by Irish immigrant Joseph Curtin and employed over 200 people.
mat1.jpg
mat2.jpg
mat4.jpg
mat3.jpg

Very nice set! Are you happy with the results?
No.3 especially with the nicely contrasted red and green.

I'm currently in the process of restoring one, only mines an LM.

I remember shooting Gold 200, good all around choice. Is there a lot of dust on the lens or fungus?

I remember shooting Gold 200, good all around choice. Is there a lot of dust on the lens or fungus?
No. It was completely CLA'd by the Camera Exchange. I forgot to mention that the first 2 shots are with the Tele lens, which gives me, more or less, 140mm total. I've been looking at the LM's. Does your light meter work?

No. It was completely CLA'd by the Camera Exchange. I forgot to mention that the first 2 shots are with the Tele lens, which gives me, more or less, 140mm total. I've been looking at the LM's. Does your light meter work?

There's definitely some funky artifacts that aren't grain. Either they didn't clean the lens, they did a bad job of it, or the negatives had stuff on them when scanned.

My light meter is not working. Seems to be a common problem. I plan on recovering anyhow, so I'll pull the side off and see if the wire is broke loose. If so that's an easy fix.

There's definitely some funky artifacts that aren't grain. Either they didn't clean the lens, they did a bad job of it, or the negatives had stuff on them when scanned.

My light meter is not working. Seems to be a common problem. I plan on recovering anyhow, so I'll pull the side off and see if the wire is broke loose. If so that's an easy fix.
They're not exactly paragons of accuracy. Selenium cells don't age well anyway. Handheld meters to the rescue...

That would only lower image contrast. I would ask about the grainy skies in the first two images, might be poor bleach fixing when the negatives were processed .

While Selenium cell light meters deteriorate the OP's 124G has a CDS meter, I used a 124 from 2007 until I sold it last year and the meter was surprisingly accurate, Great camera, I used it while living abroad, but I also have two Rolleiflex cameras :D

Ian

That would only lower image contrast. I would ask about the grainy skies in the first two images, might be poor bleach fixing when the negatives were processed .

While Selenium cell light meters deteriorate the OP's 124G has a CDS meter, I used a 124 from 2007 until I sold it last year and the meter was surprisingly accurate, Great camera, I used it while living abroad, but I also have two Rolleiflex cameras :D

Ian
Actually the grainy skies are due to over post processing on my part. It doesn't exist on the original scans and I really couldn't really see it when I was editing with Affinity.2, and obviously not when I displayed it full size.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back