That dude had a board; this dude had a light.

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at a VW meetup in Frederick, MD last night and one of the guys pulled out a skate board. One of the other guys had a Canon t2i he purchased the night before. Needless to say after a few minutes of shooting and passing the pocket wizard off to him, he's addicted to light.

Nice shot, I like how the arms and the skyline form parallel lines. What did you use for lighting on the subject?

the angle isn't bad, but the background would distract less is if it wasn't angled. the angle gives the background energy which takes away from the skateboarding.

the angle isn't bad, but the background would distract less is if it wasn't angled. the angle gives the background energy which takes away from the skateboarding.

You're wrong Colonel Sanders! A straight horizon makes this generic skateboarding photo look like dook.

What is your shutter speed here? It looks like more than 1/250, if it is how did you get past the high speed sync issue?

What is your shutter speed here? It looks like more than 1/250, if it is how did you get past the high speed sync issue?

It's a secret.

It's actually at 1/250 for the first, which is faster than the 5D MKII's rated 1/200 x sync. If you shoot with a bit of room to crop, the shutter creep either is very faint and in a dark photo like this where the background is illuminated by ambient, doesn't get anywhere near interfering with the subject, or you can totally crop it out if it does start to creep.

This can get you a few stops of shutter speed when you need it.

Great shot! Yes it does look better with the slanted skyline background. Your pics amaze me. Great job in them!

It's a secret.

It's actually at 1/250 for the first, which is faster than the 5D MKII's rated 1/200 x sync. If you shoot with a bit of room to crop, the shutter creep either is very faint and in a dark photo like this where the background is illuminated by ambient, doesn't get anywhere near interfering with the subject, or you can totally crop it out if it does start to creep.

This can get you a few stops of shutter speed when you need it.

Thanks for the info! I've noticed that my D90 also maxes out at about 1/250 as well. It just looked a lot faster than 250. I guess that's the effect of the flash freezing the motion. Nice pic.

I agree with those of the pro slant persuasion. Very nicely done and the tip on the lighting technique you used is also good.

Thanks for sharing, very nicely done.

The motion was likely stopped by the flash duration, not the shutter speed.

Second curtain sync, Village Idiot?

The motion was likely stopped by the flash duration, not the shutter speed.

Second curtain sync, Village Idiot?

Yep and nope.

Ambient wasn't enough to cause motion blur to the exposure and iirc, Canon's cameras won't do second curtain sync with using a manual radio trigger like a PW or Cynber Sync.

You can set the 580EX to second curtain on the speedlight itself can't you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back