The barmaid

neogfx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Comments please.

Katiebwblur.jpg

I really like your composition and subject, but I don't like the DOF. She's not properly in focus, and in my opinion the rest of the DOF is too strong.

Very interesting. I like it. Was the dof done in camera? The only part that distracts me is that her arm seems oversized and blends into the taps. I couldn't figure out what it was for a second.

Cherrymoose, she is properly in focus, it's only her face, that's all.
The DOF was done in PS. It would be impossible to get this DOF on a camera without using a gadget like a lensbaby because everything else on the same vertical plane as her face would also be in focus. I might redo this but have her arm and the bar taps in focus as well.

OK, 2 more versions. Which works best?

Katiebwblur2.jpg

Katiebwblur3.jpg

I like the second version (out of three). In the first the barmaid is lost; she doesn't pop enough from the rest of the tones, background, etc... In the second photo the taps in focus help draw attention to that part of the image. The brighter face does too. The taps also contribute to the story of this image. You could blur the coca-cola sign.

Yes, I'm with the Mattfish: the second of these three it is.
In the first it looks unnatural to have only her in focus and nothing else, and for being highlighted by that she is too dark in the end.
It is good to see what she is doing, i.e. that she is a barmaid, indeed, and working the taps.

Is the back of her head out of focus even in the original?
For that is the very part I would wish to see in focus with all the rest of her plus the taps (save the Coke-sign, yes, Matt is right also here). Maybe her face should be even a tad lighter than it is?

OK, gona do an edit based on what I've read here, I'll repost when it's done. Cheers for your input guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back