The bloom is off the rose

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They’re one of the centerpieces that were at my daughter’s wedding. The petals have dried to parchment, and started to brown a little. And yet, there’s still an elegance about them, a delicacy of line and form. Don’t throw them out yet, I told my wife. I’d like to capture them one more time. But they are… wilted! she protested. Yes, they are, and yet still beautiful. Or perhaps I’m just holding on to the memory of the occasion, and they are not worth the pixels. Eh. I’ll share, and you can tell me what you think. And yes, the reflection was deliberate, echoing (in my mind) what was, and what is.

roses_4873.JPG

Technical details: Canon T1i, 24-105mm lens set at 50mm, ISO 100, 1/200 sec, f/8, main flash in umbrella camera right, fill flash camera left. Flash power set manually, based on flash-meter reading. Basic processing in Canon DPP.

This is really nice Paul... really.

You manage to show the elegance of the flowers... I like everything about the photo, and especially that they're wilted

I like it, but perhaps you would try a more straight-on shot with the reflection in the background. I think that would be more balanced. This composition is off balance.

Nice photo -- it's all about aging gracefully -- congrats on the recent wedding.

Joe

This is really nice Paul... really.

You manage to show the elegance of the flowers... I like everything about the photo, and especially that they're wilted

Thank you, Marija. I am never sure if my taste is something that others may appreciate.

I like it, but perhaps you would try a more straight-on shot with the reflection in the background. I think that would be more balanced. This composition is off balance.

You have a point. If I put the reflective surface behind the vase, it will be a different image, but worth considering. I might try it tonight.

Nice photo -- it's all about aging gracefully -- congrats on the recent wedding.

Joe
Thank you, Joe. Yes "aging gracefully" is certainly a worthwhile goal. I'm just in the process of telling my back that as it rather insistently complains about how I abused it yesterday when shoveling some snow.

If I put the reflective surface behind the vase, it will be a different image, but worth considering. I might try it tonight.
I envision this with some light from above so that it illuminates the back a bit, therefore making the reflection show up better. Or try a reflector just out of the frame getting some light on the back. Experiment with the angle of the glass (while keeping it vertical) and the angle and intensity of the light.

I quite like this. The black bg and even the reflection's position. Nicely captured message.

Oh. Flowers... :( I was expecting to learn that e.Rose had dyed her hair.

;)

Nicely done Paul!

Most reactions

Back