The business contract is so Loooonnnng....

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I asked a lawyer to write up a business contract, but it is so damn long! About 3 full pages long. Seriously, is it really that necessary? I did ask him to keep it short and simple.

Now just make it 4pt font size to fit on half a page and that is why most clients never read the fine print.

Ask yourself one simple question. Do you want it short or do you want it to stand up in court? The decision is yours.

I used to have to read contracts between automotive suppliers and the OEMs and give summaries and identify sticking points. Those were longer ...

A biz contract is to identify what exact services you will be offering (and not offering) for a certain price.

So, if any one ever has any question about anything the statement "have you read the contract" comes in handy.

American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage has sample contracts etc. if you want to compare. I personally wouldn't use or sign anything that wasn't clear. So if the contract was unclear to me, I'd probably check into streamlining it while keeping it in line with what a lawyer recommends.

I don't know if clients would read lengthy contracts or not; I read anything I'm asked to sign. If it was 3 pages to contract to have photos taken I'd probably think about finding another photographer because to me it seems excessive. You could always get another legal opinion I suppose if you don't think this contract seems usable.

I don't know if clients would read lengthy contracts or not; I read anything I'm asked to sign. If it was 3 pages to contract to have photos taken I'd probably think about finding another photographer because to me it seems excessive. You could always get another legal opinion I suppose if you don't think this contract seems usable.

Yea, I was thinking about that, too. I don't want to scare the clients away with a lengthy contract. It is just an initial draft. I can modify or take out some portions out of it.

As @Dave442 suggested reduce the font size, and the line spacing. Contracts are written to protect the interests of the contract's author. They have to be readable, but there's no obligation on the part of author to make it easy to read. Not following your attorney's advice is like picking and choosing which of the medications your doctor prescribed that you actually take.

As @Dave442 suggested reduce the font size, and the line spacing. Contracts are written to protect the interests of the contract's author. They have to be readable, but there's no obligation on the part of author to make it easy to read. Not following your attorney's advice is like picking and choosing which of the medications your doctor prescribed that you actually take.
I have to disagree. Lousy, cheap photographers have little short contracts if they have one at all. A long contract makes you look like a really good photographer that truly knows your business and can deliver. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

A long contract makes you look like a really good photographer that truly knows your business and can deliver. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Didn't say shorten it, I said reduce the size of the type, and the spacing between the lines. Dealt with contracts everyday for years.

A long contract makes you look like a really good photographer that truly knows your business and can deliver. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Didn't say shorten it, I said reduce the size of the type, and the spacing between the lines. Dealt with contracts everyday for years.
But then it just makes it look sneaky.
Shifty eyes.gif

then it just makes it look sneaky

Not really, sometimes the amount of wording required is so great that you have to reduce the size of the text/spacing for efficiency. Pull out the warranty on almost everything you buy, and tell me if it's 12 pt double spaced.

then it just makes it look sneaky

Not really, sometimes the amount of wording required is so great that you have to reduce the size of the text/spacing for efficiency. Pull out the warranty on almost everything you buy, and tell me if it's 12 pt double spaced.
Yep you can shrink a 3 page, 12 point type document to 1 page if you use 3 point type and give the customer a magnifying glass.

My wedding photography contract is 10 pages long, single space, 4pt font size. The entire contract is basically the fine print! :D

Most reactions

Back