The fastest animal on the planet...EVER!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the fastest animal on the planet, apparently. In a vertical dive, the Peregrine Falcon can reach speeds in excess of 240mph. That is fast, and if the target of that fast dive is a starling, for example, he stands no chance!

What do you think of this handsome fellow?

Peregrin Falcon by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

wow that's a good shot. looks like he's just had lunch (is that blood around his beak?) :)

Great picture! Can't imagine the feeling of watching such an animal eating and even take some photos.

Regards,
LizardKing

He is indeed handsome and what a great photo :thumbup:

Beautifull bird, but I would be more impressed with his speed if it wasn't a "vertical dive". 240mph sounds fast, but even a human in balled up position has a terminal velocity of ~200mph in free fall if I recall correctly. Put a cone on our head and point straight down in one of those olympic swimsuits with like zero resitance and I'm sure we could probably hit the 240s as well. All that said I still love the photo.

Beautifull bird, but I would be more impressed with his speed if it wasn't a "vertical dive". 240mph sounds fast, but even a human in balled up position has a terminal velocity of ~200mph in free fall if I recall correctly. Put a cone on our head and point straight down in one of those olympic swimsuits with like zero resitance and I'm sure we could probably hit the 240s as well.
Yes, that may be so, but you wouldn't be able to catch your dinner whilst doing so, I don't think. :)

Someone on another forum shared this...

Peregrine falcon sky dive - Brought to you by Dumpalink.com

All that said I still love the photo.

Thank you. :)

Beautifull bird, but I would be more impressed with his speed if it wasn't a "vertical dive". 240mph sounds fast, but even a human in balled up position has a terminal velocity of ~200mph in free fall if I recall correctly. Put a cone on our head and point straight down in one of those olympic swimsuits with like zero resitance and I'm sure we could probably hit the 240s as well. All that said I still love the photo.
But the bird lives through the dive...............

But the bird lives through the dive...............

:lol::lol::lol:

Most reactions

Back