The impossible math problem...

But where do you add the people? Remember this isn't just a bunch of numbers...its based on the idea that they are real people, occupying real rooms. How do you slot the extra infinity people into the extra infinity rooms?

first come first serve, as they come in the rooms fill up. you never run out of rooms

Are there more numbers between 0 and 1, or between 1 and 2?

exactly. isn't that what the term 'float' entails? i.e. floats between 1 and 2 could be 1.1124366 or 1.809938, etc. Basically anything in beween.

i may (and most likely) have something wrong in there...i'm not really a big math buff - i got good grades but couldn't retain much for long periods of time :)

thebeginning said:
exactly. isn't that what the term 'float' entails? i.e. floats between 1 and 2 could be 1.1124366 or 1.809938, etc. Basically anything in beween.

i may (and most likely) have something wrong in there...i'm not really a big math buff - i got good grades but couldn't retain much for long periods of time :)
Right. In float terms, there are infinitely many numbers between 0 and 1, as well as between 1 and 2. But the original question asked if there were more numbers between one or the other. You said there are, but there aren't. It's infinity for both. ;-)

Most reactions

Back