The lenses for amateur Nikon users

True, but then again I would not know many situations where you need 18mm in one second and 200 in the next second.

Maybe in fast sports, but then the f/5.6 are a bit slow at 200mm. There a long prime and a short wide angle zoom can be quite handy (ideally on two camera bodies, if affordable).

But then again I do not know about this particular lens and its performance.

Generally "people pics," specifically family gatherings where I might be taking a group shot one minute and zooming in on someone's smile the next. Not only is there no time to change lenses but I'm trying to enjoy the event myself and I'm not about to carry four or five lenses and certainly two bodies are out of the question. The f/5.6 is, as you say, a bit slow (as is f/2.8) but, for this purpose, the VR works just fine.

EVERY zoom that has ever been built is a compromise. It's almost part of the basic definition of "zoom lens." When I want large apertures, there is NO zoom that has ever existed (within a reasonable price range) that will satisfy my requirements. My main lenses are 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 and I won't accept f/2.8.

Yeah, zoom lenses do make compromises. For example, the 14-24 f/2.8 wide-angle zoom can't take filters. The 70-200mm f/2.8 is heavy. The 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 (right?) sacrifices IQ. But, I mean, zoom lenses, at least the best of the best, are just as good with IQ as primes. I'm convinced of that after using fast primes, and fast zooms. I mean, primes do have size (small) and maximum aperture (usually) advantages over zooms, but IQ is even at the top of the line these days.

is it compatible with the d40x? if so, are there any recommended brand of prime 85mm lenses? or i can stick with Nikkor?

All nikon AF lenses will work on d40/d40x, but on the AF-S lenses will autofocus with them. Another alternative is to get a sigma HSM lens that will also autofocus with this camera. So just keep an eye out for these types of lenses with low apertures for the bokeh look.

What lens can i use to get a "bokeh" image. I use a Nikon D40.

You can get shallower depth of field by zooming to 55mm and shooting the subject relatively close to you.

EDIT: also, what exactly is the point of this thread? List cheap lenses?

Just because someone is an amateur doesn't mean they use cheap glass, and vise-versa.

EDIT: also, what exactly is the point of this thread? List cheap lenses?

Just because someone is an amateur doesn't mean they use cheap glass, and vise-versa.

Well it is actually sort of cheap lenses that have reasonable IQ I guess, although some of them are actually quite pricey to me.

And no, I don't say that an amateur ia a guaranty a person who has a good meal one day and starving for the next. In general that is what amateurs way of spending, what is in their consideration. If there is an amateur who by slim chance here with an awesome spending power present - I humbly apologized for all error I have made so far, and enlighten me as how to redeem my self :D.

Anyway I am stiil scouring the web to find more lenses.

this lens is definitely no "performer". you could get the 12-24 dx or a used 17-55 2.8 for around the same price.

i really don't get these new zooms and super zooms.

Not so. Check the photozone.de review. The image quality is on par / slightly better than the 18-70mm making it one of the best non-pro lenses out there when taking into account features and cost. Bokeh sucks, but hey you can't have anything. I would have gladly paid another $300 to get VR on my 18-70mm when I first bought my camera, however I was not prepared to drop that money on the 18-200mm which really does suck.

Also what's not to get? Isn't a sharp fast superzoom the holy grail of all lenses ;)

Not so. Check the photozone.de review. The image quality is on par / slightly better than the 18-70mm making it one of the best non-pro lenses out there when taking into account features and cost. Bokeh sucks, but hey you can't have anything. I would have gladly paid another $300 to get VR on my 18-70mm when I first bought my camera, however I was not prepared to drop that money on the 18-200mm which really does suck.

Also what's not to get? Isn't a sharp fast superzoom the holy grail of all lenses ;)

i really don't care what photozone says. i regret not going office space on my copy of that lens.

All nikon AF lenses will work on d40/d40x, but on the AF-S lenses will autofocus with them. Another alternative is to get a sigma HSM lens that will also autofocus with this camera. So just keep an eye out for these types of lenses with low apertures for the bokeh look.

Not to be a nit-picker here, but while all "AF" series lenses will indeed work on the D40, not all nikon auto focus lenses will. Nikon IX APS lenses will NOT work on the D40/D40x/D60, but only on the APS Pronia's... strangely enough, the Pronias can except all "AF" series lenses.

Most reactions

Back