The meander of flip screens

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The flipscreen of my D5100 is awesome. Can be flipped around for perfect protection, can be flipped forward for "selfie mode", can be flipped up and down and left and right.

The D750 flipscreen is okayish. Only up and down, but thats it. I call these tiltscreens and I guess they are better for more stealth and a bit quicker to use than the "full" flipscreen of a D5x00, x >= 1, but it cannot be flipped around or sideways.

The new Pentax K-1 or the new Fuji X-T2 have riddiculous flipscreens. Am I alone in thinking thats really not what I want ? Some super complex mechanisms to make all kinds of angles possible ? I think the D5100 mechanism is much simpler and still more powerful, because you can flip it all around for perfect protection.

I'd say most don't think about it to much, but probably prefer ones that can do more. The actual mechanism probably only comes into people's minds of it breaks.

I had a D5200. The flipscreen was far superior to my D750's tilt screen.

The tilt screen on my D750 is still great for landscapes, star photos, etc. Basically any shot where the camera is super low I usually use it in liveview.

I like the D750s when I put it on my scope, you can raise it to block any light going into the viewfinder. It's also useful when I have it on a setup for doing macro shots pointed down.

Of course I like my P7800 flippy screen too - just like the d5x00.
And with the availability of controlling the camera on your ipad/iphone, etc it somewhat supercedes the flippy screen.

My FUJI HS 20 has a flip / tilt screen and I would be lost without it. Why camera manufacturers dont fit these as standard is just greed.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I used the eye viewfinder.

I've encountered rare occasions where I've thought it might be nice to have one, but quite honestly, I'm happy that none of my bodies do. IMO, it's just another likely point of failure, for almost zero benefit.

I've encountered rare occasions where I've thought it might be nice to have one, but quite honestly, I'm happy that none of my bodies do. IMO, it's just another likely point of failure, for almost zero benefit.
That is interesting to me as I never take pics at eye level.

What do you do about lower / higher pictures?

...What do you do about lower / higher pictures?
Same as I've always done; get down on my belly, or hold the camera above my head, zoom out a bit to allow for movement and shoot.
When you reach the point that getting down on your belly means staying there until a nice strong person comes along, you will appreciate exactly how good these moveable screens are.

Reactions: alv

No benefit, are you kidding? Take a UV filter, glue it to the flippy screen..

Bam!

Instant cupholder.

...What do you do about lower / higher pictures?
Same as I've always done; get down on my belly, or hold the camera above my head, zoom out a bit to allow for movement and shoot.
When you reach the point that getting down on your belly means staying there until a nice strong person comes along, you will appreciate exactly how good these moveable screens are.
There's always the original "flip screen".

Have on on the T5I and never used it. Don't have one on the 7Dmk2 and don't miss it.
But I don't shoot anything that would require it. Kind of hard to do a selfie at 500mm.:345:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back