The new iPhone 3G...

I

Iron Flatline

...sucks!

What a POS.

Well, at least the Microsoft Exchange integration, which is why I waited till now to buy it.

But guess what: no Tasks (!), no Categories, no control over which folders get synced... so I have 50+ folders, and have to scroll past ALL of them to get to something toward the bottom. They're usually all nested inside a few main folders, but no way to collapse them.

WTF?

Also, I have several Contact folders, but it syncs ALL of them - thus defeating the reason they're separated in the first place!

I don't get it, Apple did a great job with Entourage, why they didn't get this right is beyond any reason... they're (hopefully) going to patch it, because right now it is unusable within "the enterprise."

I am soooo disappointed.

Oh well, back to my HTC Phone. I buy a new one every year, and they're getting better all the time. Check out the new HTC Touch Diamond and Touch Pro... think I'll get the Pro. I was always wary of just a touch screen anyway...

The minute I found that the iPhone wasn't running a mini version of MAC OS X, I wrote it off. I was further disappointed by all the "locking" down and limited SDK. What I want is a true MAC that fits in my pocket with a well thought out developer's interface.

I actually convinced myself to look at it a few months ago. I discovered glorified media phone with little built-in for productivity. A lot of fancy toys but no "core" from which us productivity people depend on. The fact that the original iPhone was released with a slow data connection while most smart phones have already moved on to EVDO and 3G means Apple just doesn't understand the cellphone/PDA market.

I'm a Apple Fanatic (well more unix/linux) and I was so excited when I first saw the commercial for the iPhone. My first reaction was... "WOW.. finally going to dump my trusty Palm Treo!!!". I am still using Palm (700p)... no worries... it does everything I need it to do.

I'm a Apple Fanatic (well more unix/linux) and I was so excited when I first saw the commercial for the iPhone. My first reaction was... "WOW.. finally going to dump my trusty Palm Treo!!!"

Exactly. The iPhone has great potential. I can understand the first generation being intentionally limited, but the second generation is a disappointment. I would consider it if there were more productivity apps, and support for external hardware, like keyboards. If it were just a bit more Palm like. I think one some more apps are developed the usability will grow.

Imagine, entering data into a spreadsheet or typing some notes in a word doc using a bluetooth keyboard, then clicking print and sending them to my networked printer, while listening to music, Pulling files off of my computer without plugging in a cable. Other simple things like graphing calculator. Having a calender appointment schedule, and contact list that all work together. Presenting a powerpoint presentation wirelessly? c'mon
It can do this stuff. When Jobs introduced the iPhone, the image on his phone were being projected on a screen right behind him! Where is my wireless video presentation?

I love my iPhone. Other than the fact that it becomes a BRICK when I try to update it. (I have the 1stG)

I currently have no phone.

[video=youtube;DLxq90xmYUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxq90xmYUs"]CLICK[/video]

I called it a glorified media (music) phone too early. One feature I felt that was missing was support for stereo bluetooth. Fine.. first version doesn't have it... but the second version STILL doesn't support A2DP profiles. My treo doesn't support A2DP BUT a well written application (1 man development team at home no doubt) enabled its use in software "almost" flawlessly (processor/battery). All on a Treo based on at least 10 year old OS.

What a bummer.. Corry!!! They haven't solved the problem yet?

I called it a glorified media (music) phone too early. One feature I felt that was missing was support for stereo bluetooth. Fine.. first version doesn't have it... but the second version STILL doesn't support A2DP profiles. My treo doesn't support A2DP BUT a well written application (1 man development team at home no doubt) enabled its use in software "almost" flawlessly (processor/battery). All on a Treo based on at least 10 year old OS.

No, I was on the phone for over an hour. The tech was telling me all of these troubleshooting fixes that I'd already done. Then he said "hold on a second, I'm going to go into the Apple iPhone forums and see if there's anything there that may help us," to which I replied "I'm already there, and have been since last night. There are no solid fixes in the forum."

Lovely.

Not good when the tech support kiddies need to go into forums to find solutions.

I don't think the iPhone will catch on in the business world, because it's brand new there. As new firmware comes out, it'll get better and better, but it probably won't unsear Blackberry as the king of business. For personal use, I've never found anything near this good. My mom had a WinMo phone from AT&T the last 2 years...damn thing never worked right, and the interface is awwwwful... (And this comes from someone who truly dislikes normal apple interfaces, and likes most microsoft ones)

I've only had it for a day, but I seriously love the new iPhone 3G

Personally, I avoid A2DP like the plague. There has never been a wireless protocol that can transmit high quality audio, and A2DP isn't one of the better ones. I've listened to some of Sennheiser's high end wireless headphones, A2DP, as well as some theatre monitor/mic packs. When audio quality is at stake, wires are your friend.

I've had mine since launch day (first-gen iPhone) and have never had a single issue with updating or whatever. And I never run into any of these Microsoft Exchange problems or whatever, because I refuse to use Windows anyways. I don't know, I like my iPhone, so whatever, haha.

iPhones don't work where I am, cause I can't get Cingular... But I'd probably get something other than an iPhone, as it seems just way too expensive to warrant having for anything other than necessity.

IF, I would suggest getting a blackberry if the technical details are more important to you than things like a big screen and whatnot. I have an old fossil blackberry I use as a organizer, and it does everything, even balance my checkbook! I've never used Palm, but I personally went with the Berry because it supposedly has much better battery life. I think both are more technically inclined, though, so you'd probably be happier with it.

I need to go back onto ebay and see if there's a used blackberry for cheap I can swap my phone out for, though. Carrying around two phones is a pain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back