The only good mouse is a dead mouse!!!!!

I live in the country in San Diego County on a measly acre of land. My 3 cats took care of the mice, rats, birds, gophers, squirrels AND rabbits. Yes, my cats have killed and eaten over half a dozen rabbits, most full grown, in the last 5-1/2 years.

Usually all I find is a pile of fur/feathers and the occasional jaw-bone or pelvis/tail. They're pretty thorough.

Go with the cats. Cats are awesome. Adopt a few and let them run wild. Are you sure they are mice? When I lived with my parents my dad thought we had mice in the attic and walls. Turned out to be red squirrels. We went up in the attic and shot them.... though that has little to do with my suggestion.

They are absolutely mice, they have been seen! We had another spotting this morning, my 6 year old was sitting at the table eating cereal and started shouting that he just saw the mouse run under our buffet. My 9 year old looked under there and the mouse ran out and scurried under the couch. I lifted up the couch and spotted a hole in the bottom of my couch. I had to leave for work so I wasn't able to do any further investigation, I believe that is where the nest is. :confused:

Cat for sure. Just hope it doesn't end up fat and lazy like my oldest cat.

haha mine too. We had a mouse problem once, my cat offered no help.

Although I can't offer any advice, we solved out problem by moving. Not just because of the mice, there was other problems with the house too - and a liar of a landlord.

Sticky traps. If you haven't seen two caught in the same trap before, it is totally possible.

The down side is if you think you will have a hard time killing it yourself...

CB Caps for for .22 rifles (will sound like an air rifle). Just a primer and no powder. Great for inner city dispatching of rodents.

So with that said, peanut butter and a conventional mouse trap.

I have to second the cat suggestion. I had mice once, and got the humane traps. Then I found mouse poop ON the traps... So then I went and got the inhumane ones... :) But still didn't solve anything. I got my kitty from a shelter when she was one month and weighed 1lb (!), not really expecting she would wrestle any beasts, but surprisingly all the mice disappeared the moment I brought her home. I think the smell of cat alone might be enough to chase them away? Now she is a big scary but lazy monster... I have no mice, so by faulty reasoning she could claim she is doing her job... :)
Here is my cat, for fun: man-eating beast - a set on Flickr
Your results may vary... :)

Cuuute! How come the caption on the first one is in Romanian? Just curious... ;)

I have had cats that were just plain lazy and others that presented me overnight with 'gifts' such as a half-eaten mouse. I suggest you get a kitty on the 'wilder' side, such as a newer breed. Scottish Fold comes to mind, they're ferocious hunters. I have one that's 12 years young and he is a big boy killer.

Cuuute! How come the caption on the first one is in Romanian? Just curious... ;)

I have had cats that were just plain lazy and others that presented me overnight with 'gifts' such as a half-eaten mouse. I suggest you get a kitty on the 'wilder' side, such as a newer breed. Scottish Fold comes to mind, they're ferocious hunters. I have one that's 12 years young and he is a big boy killer.

Well, my cat is bilingual in Romanian and English. Given the name in your avatar, I gather we may share one of the languages we speak. Thanks for the kind words.

And I have to also agree on picking the cat. If you don't want to focus on a specific breed, do what I did: look in the box of kittens at the shelter and pick the one hanging to a sibling's tail by her teeth... :) Indicates aggression, resourcefulness and imagination :)

Well, my cat is bilingual in Romanian and English. Given the name in your avatar, I gather we may share one of the languages we speak. Thanks for the kind words.

And I have to also agree on picking the cat. If you don't want to focus on a specific breed, do what I did: look in the box of kittens at the shelter and pick the one hanging to a sibling's tail by her teeth... :) Indicates aggression, resourcefulness and imagination :)

Yes, I was born, raised and educated in Romania, so I am very fluent in Romanian. :thumbup: Makes me happy to know there are other Romanian speaking forumites here.

I do have three other cats that are saves, either from the streets or from shelters. The youngest, a very pretty 3 year young boy, named Hobbes, is a natural killer of things and we usually end up with various 'gifts' such as dead insects (scorpions) on our floors. The Dachshund dog we have now is also adopted. My wife worked for a no-kill shelter as well.

OK, now back to the original intent of the post. I agree that a cat will do the job.

Personally I always found a shotgun better - and way more fun. But you do need to re-plaster the walls when you've finished.

I thought RPG stood for 'role playing game'. I have this vision of you boring the mice to death with non-stop Dungeons & Dragons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back