The Paleo diet...ugh...

I probably shouldn't join this conversation. I have extremely strong views on nutrition. I will agree you have an extremely valid point. Honestly though, if they did cure their health with a diet change- be happy for them! Weather it took a fad to do it or not, at least they are speaking about something positive. I'd much rather hear someone rave about their new diet than hear them complain about their arthritis over a bag of cheetos.

I honestly don't mind that they've changed themselves for the better; more power to them. And if they want to talk about how great they feel because of a lifestyle change, more power to them again.

However, that kind of enthusiasm is generally not what I get.

It's more...hmm...religious fervor. I think it can instill a very unhealthy "all or nothing" mentality that, over the long run, can be a detriment to some people. One of the risks would be orthorexia for those who might be more prone to it, which is why I don't try to sell people on my personal lifestyle, whatever that may be.

It's like: I love to hear about how great you feel, because it makes me feel good that you feel good, but don't try and shill me your literature unless I ask for it.

I don't hear much about it because I have a tendency to roll my eyes derisively at anyone who starts raving about the latest fad anything, so if anyone I know is likely to be on it, they are very UNlikely to be telling me about it.

Having said that, diet is HUGELY important in our well-being, and I am very cognizant of what foods I put into my body. I believe that anyone who starts doing this will start feeling better, no matter what the particular details are of what they are or aren't eating. Everyone is going gluten-free these days, and in the meantime, I have seitan (pure vital wheat gluten) as one of my non-meat sources of protein. It doesn't bother me so I'm not going to cut it out just because some people have celiac and others want to mindlessly jump on the bandwagon. I have also cut out artificial sweeteners completely. They made me feel horrible. They also happen to be terrible for us, but not everyone is going to react to them in a way that would warrant their elimination from a diet.

AvianStewardess had it right: don't follow a diet. We should follow what our bodies are telling us. Of course, we then have to actually pay attention to our bodies, and most people today aren't really good at paying attention.

My body always says it wants beer and buffalo wings.

Don't eat anything that has a TV commercial LOL.

I've done the Paleo , ho hum , not immperessed.

I don't hear much about it because I have a tendency to roll my eyes derisively at anyone who starts raving about the latest fad anything, so if anyone I know is likely to be on it, they are very UNlikely to be telling me about it.

Having said that, diet is HUGELY important in our well-being, and I am very cognizant of what foods I put into my body. I believe that anyone who starts doing this will start feeling better, no matter what the particular details are of what they are or aren't eating. Everyone is going gluten-free these days, and in the meantime, I have seitan (pure vital wheat gluten) as one of my non-meat sources of protein. It doesn't bother me so I'm not going to cut it out just because some people have celiac and others want to mindlessly jump on the bandwagon. I have also cut out artificial sweeteners completely. They made me feel horrible. They also happen to be terrible for us, but not everyone is going to react to them in a way that would warrant their elimination from a diet.

AvianStewardess had it right: don't follow a diet. We should follow what our bodies are telling us. Of course, we then have to actually pay attention to our bodies, and most people today aren't really good at paying attention.

I agree. I am pretty aware of what healthy food is (although my skills in preparing it deliciously is up for debate). I've been trying to eat healthier on my own terms, but a lot of it is coming down to what I can afford that isn't crap, so I'm not where I want to be with my diet. I just don't want to see eating as a job.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't join this conversation. I have extremely strong views on nutrition. I will agree you have an extremely valid point. Honestly though, if they did cure their health with a diet change- be happy for them! Weather it took a fad to do it or not, at least they are speaking about something positive. I'd much rather hear someone rave about their new diet than hear them complain about their arthritis over a bag of cheetos.
Wait, Cheetos causes arthritis?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back