The Petrol Pump Attendants

Chris, I really like your idea of a series of photos for or at least of these men!
They sure deserve to also be having a face in this world.
In a way, I share Sw1tchFX's impression, though, that only one really tells the story, i.e. 3, where we can see the money in his hands. Often hands are cut off "mid-hand", as it were.
Nevertheless, I believe that people who have somehow got used to their sad fate of actually being "invisible" to the world, might feel a little spooked by a camera and by someone who wants to take their photo. Spooked and thrilled at the same time, maybe, but I believe they are not all willing to pose for very long, so these photos have to be taken quickly... am I right about this?

I'm aware of the 'central' issue here, but as Corinna says, you get very, very little time to try and take the shot.

There would no chance of doing this with the 350D, much less if I had the flash on it to provide the fill-in that's really needed due to the exceptionally bright backgrounds. Also because I'm sat in the drivers seat, most of them end up being taken twisted round and pointed behind you, whilst viewing the screen at around a 45 degree angle - composition does end up being a little hit and miss, but it's something I'll work on with these as time goes by.

As far as the life that these guys lead goes, they might be earning as little as $100.00 a month and are scarily subservient to anyone who might represent an authority figure (like a customer). I actually feel rather guilty at times about taking these shots, because I know they won't object, though I do always ask them as best I can given the inevitable language difficulties. On the positive side, whoever pours the petrol gets a tip from me without fail and always before I ask whether I can take the shot.

Finally, I take the point about going wider so I can tell the story better. I was actually leaning towards going in tighter so I can get the faces of the guys better, but that would lead them to perhaps become even more anonymous (who are they, what do they do, why take the photo). One of the reasons I picked the FX33 (great little camera BTW) was that it had a wider than normal lens for a P&S - I'll try and make better use of it.

I wonder if I could get my gas station to put in a couch and chair. Nice shots, but as stated above would like to see them pumping gas or performing some type of activity.

A few more. This is my regular fill-up, so you may well see these guys quite often. I'm sure they think "Oh no! It's that idiot with the camera again". It's Ramadan here at the moment, so I'm sure they're interested in nothing more than their Iftar meal.

2889872339_8e8139c026_o.jpg

2890708330_6452806a58_o.jpg

2890708774_f742ca48d9_o.jpg

The last shot has me wondering if he had to leave his family behind for work, and how often he gets to see them.

When I was in Abu Dhabi, many of the men were from other countries and had to leave their families behind. Many only went home once a year to see their wives and children. I spoke to quite a few people and you could see the pain in some of their eyes, and others just prefered it that way...

I myself can't imagine. I barely lasted 3 weeks!

Nice shots Chris :)

A couple more taken this morning. The close ups of the guy who was pumping the petrol were completely gash, so they're not going to put in an appearance.

2941830494_bdd93a9406_o.jpg

2940997417_59a8e1bcf2_o.jpg

i love the first one with the "chanel" shades.

i like this series.

I like how this guy is holding his cash like a gangsta! Yet no bling..

-Shea

chrisofarabia-gas-gansta.jpg

I think this one is amazing and really stands out. Keep shooting- especially when the shots are quick, sometimes you never knoe ehat you'll get. Very interesting series.

There are a couple of things I need to do with this I think. Firstly I need to print off some copies of 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12 and drop them off at my local fill up point for the guys - a bit of a thank you for putting up with me, and something that they could send back to their families or something. Next is to fill up at some different places, change the backdrop, different people etc. Finally, I shall perhaps start getting out of the car and getting some new angles whilst the tank is getting topped up. Don't be surprised if you end up seeing rather more of a blue Dodge Durango of my acquaintance.

I like these shots, especially the ones that show a lot of space. I think it's very interesting to capture a familiar setting (the gas pump/station) that is actually in an unfamiliar place to us western members. It make you think about the similarities across cultures and the subtle differences.

I like this one too, very candid. It's funny how foreign gas stations are so intriguing for me to look at.

#14 - captured last Wednesday morning on the way to Bahrain for the golf competition. This is the first one in morning light I think, same place as #3 & #13.

3058618511_19a3d04f1b_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back