ThePhotoForum should be on Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some points:
Instagram is part of the Facebook group and wholly owned by them.
Tread carefully!

Given the intent of the two platforms, what i would probably see as the most logical is as previously mentioned, a posting ar "ad" for the TPF.
Other than that, unless as John pointed out, your into ALOT of phone based photography, (to whit there is an entire section here) it may or may not be advantageous.

Have you used Instagram? Most of the people I follow on Instagram (who are not my friends or family) are professional photographers or serious hobbyists. They are definitely not posting phone photos. Most are shooting with full frame or mirrorless cameras and using LR/PS or the equivalent at a very high level. Some of the best photos I've seen in the past year have been on Instagram - not on Flickr or 500px or Facebook or even here on TPF or other photo forums. There are a lot of very talented photographers using Instagram to share their work. It is also a very supportive photography community if you know how to use it for that purpose. There are meet ups and collaborations, shared ideas and information about events, interesting stories about how a shot was inspired or executed, opportunities to interact with companies that make photo gear, people coordinating their time and efforts for charity work (shutterbugsforcharity)...

Last edited:
Some points:
Instagram is part of the Facebook group and wholly owned by them.
Tread carefully!

Given the intent of the two platforms, what i would probably see as the most logical is as previously mentioned, a posting ar "ad" for the TPF.
Other than that, unless as John pointed out, your into ALOT of phone based photography, (to whit there is an entire section here) it may or may not be advantageous.

Have you used Instagram? Most of the people I follow on Instagram (who are not my friends or family) are professional photographers or serious hobbyists. They are definitely not posting phone photos. Most are shooting with full frame or wireless cameras and using LR/PS or the equivalent at a very high level. Some of the best photos I've seen in the past year have been on Instagram - not on Flickr or 500px or Facebook or even here on TPF or other photo forums. There are a lot of very talented photographers using Instagram to share their work. It is also a very supportive photography community if you know how to use it for that purpose. There are meet ups and collaborations, shared ideas and information about events, interesting stories about how a shot was inspired or executed, opportunities to interact with companies that make photo gear, people coordinating their time and efforts for charity work (shutterbugsforcharity)...
Not saying that its "ONLY".

I stay off instagram mostly not because I think its amatures, but because I dont want the specific Fakebook link.
That's just me and my opinion.

I too have seen alot of great work on instagram when shown it.
I simply avoid it for that reason.

I think this site could do with a better photo hosting system and gallery, but I also think the discussions are excellent, so would not want the activities diluted over 2 formats.

But perhaps a Group on Flickr could be a way to display higher quality photos?

You guys all have valid points. Thanks for taking the time to read my idea.

^ This is how to receive feedback that isn't what you were expecting. Well done for seeing other point of view and not getting defensive. It's becoming a rarity in our online world.

Onto the original post.

It could have its merits having a presence on other platforms but the owners would likely want to use them to drive traffic back here. To this end the owners/admins would have to devise a strategy to accomplish this.
An interesting but I feel may also be a daunting project.

Is Instantgram anything like Instant Coffee? :biglaugh:

I'm not sure how it would work -- As far as I know, TPF, as an entity, doesn't post anything, and doesn't really own any of the images. The individual members would need to join and post.
An admin or member in good standing would need to take on the responsibility of running the TPF instagram account if there was one, and they would feature the best of the photos that are posted to the forum, giving credit to the photographers by name/TPF account name / instagram page if they have one. There are other forums and websites like this that have instagram accounts that do this, so it's not an unreasonable idea, and it would actually bring more users to the forum itself if the right hashtags are used. The only problem is finding someone who would assume the responsibility.

Last edited:
Instagram seems aimed at folks using a phone primarily and secondarily a tablet.
The Photo Forum is aimed at folks wanting to become better photographers and have a place at which constructive advice can be given and accepted. The photos posted here need to be seen as large as possible.

TPF isn't like Flickr (my hosting site) where no matter the quality of photo, it only generates faves, or Facebook where it generates only "thumbs up" or Instagram (to which I also belong) where it generates "hearts." Comments made at these sites have no constructive advice.

I can't see how an Instagram presence would forward the aims of TPF.

Instagram has become primarily a platform for professional photographers (and others of course) to have their work seen and hopefully generate more business.
The point of a TPF instagram account shouldn't be for constructive advice, or to have the photos seen as large as possible. The point to a TPF instagram account would be to showcase standout talent from TPF to a larger audience, while also bringing new members to TPF from instagram, essentially "forwarding the aims of TPF".

It's interesting to me how literally any time I see anyone complaining about instagram, it's someone firmly stuck in their old ways who doesn't understand social media, therefore they label it as a bad thing when in fact an instagram account would help bring new life to this forum. Let's be honest here, TPF is dying compared to how active it was in years past. Any way to bring new and active members to this site should be considered a good idea. Anyone saying it's a bad idea simply has no real understanding of social media.

There are a lot of very talented photographers using Instagram to share their work. It is also a very supportive photography community if you know how to use it for that purpose. There are meet ups and collaborations, shared ideas and information about events, interesting stories about how a shot was inspired or executed, opportunities to interact with companies that make photo gear, people coordinating their time and efforts for charity work (shutterbugsforcharity)...
Which is exactly why having a TPF instagram account isn't a bad idea. I guarentee those talented photographers want more platforms to share their work with an active community, and ours is dying unless we find ways to bring new members to the site, for example by using instagram to our advantage. I'm not saying we need to do this, but I am firmly disagreeing with anyone who say's it's a bad idea or not a good fit for TPF.

Thanks for your comments, Dan. The site owners are the ones who steer these kinds of decisions, and TPF isn't their first rodeo.

It could have its merits having a presence on other platforms but the owners would likely want to use them to drive traffic back here. To this end the owners/admins would have to devise a strategy to accomplish this.
An interesting but I feel may also be a daunting project.
Here's how I see it happening:

1) Find someone to run the account. This in my opinion would be the only difficult task.

2) Create the instagram account, and make sticky threads in the gallery forums announcing the account's presence. Anyone who is interested and has an IG could then follow the link and respectively follow the TPF instagram account. Additionally the instagram account description would have a link to www.thephotoforum.com. Anyone who finds their way to the TPF instagram is likely going to be a photographer, and there is a good chance that if they like the photos posted to the IG account, they might be interested in coming to the forum as well.

3) Ideally whomever runs the account should be an active member who has an interest in different genres of photography, and when this person sees quality shots posted to this site, they could also post those shots to the instagram account (with permission of course), with respective credits to the photographer. Posting the nominations to Photo of The Month would be a great start to finding standout shots for the IG account. Being smart about hashtags would bring viewers to the instagram posts and to the TPF account, and then to the site through the link in the account description ( #photography #portrait #wildlifephotography #portraitpage #commercialphotography #landscapephotography #fineartphotography #photographerslife #photographyislife #bestphotos #hobbyistphotographer #professionalphotographer #beautifulphoto #photoartist #photoart #artphotography #throughalens #canonphotography #nikonphotography #sonyphotography, the list goes on, and hashtags can easily be copied and pasted from a template, making it easy as heck to do). At minimum, whomever runs the account would only need to make 1 post a week, but it isn't really difficult at all to find time to make one post a day or every other day.

That's only three steps. I don't see this as being too difficult for someone who has the right attitude about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, Dan. The site owners are the ones who steer these kinds of decisions, and TPF isn't their first rodeo.
So they said no?
Is the forum on instagram? ;)
That doesn't answer my question, which isn't difficult to answer. Based on your level of enthusiasm on the subject, I'm going to assume no one has asked. It's not a bad idea and TPF wouldn't be the first site to successfully use instagram as a means to showcase it's member's work and bring new members to the site (deviantart, fstoppers, 500px, petapixel, to name a few), so I don't understand the attitude toward the idea from those who could make it happen. I think if no one wants to do it, they should just say so rather than labeling it a bad idea or deflecting responsibility to faceless website owners that none of us members even know who they are or how to contact.

Last edited:
Hi Dan - actually, the OP's question has been answered, but you obviously disagree with what you're reading. ;) The concept has been fleshed out by several TPF members over the course of 3 pages now - and by members who are actual users of IG, as to why they don't think it's a particularly good fit for TPF. I agree with you that other forums have done this, or expanded to include FB pages and the like. My prior comments stand: the site owners are very engaged tech professionals who own a large amount of forums, and it remains their decision when and how to include other social media.

I'm puzzled over your strong pushback towards your fellow TPF'ers. It's very easy to trip through a thread and slap a "Disagree" on the many posts from members who don't share your apparent enthusiasm for IG. Based on your signature links, IG is a great fit for you, and for individual self-promotion. I'm glad it works for you. That doesn't make the replies to this thread invalid. You are certainly free to step up and volunteer; contact the owners directly by use of the Contact Us button and make your case. You could be in for a happy surprise, but maybe you should be prepared to put the time and effort into it. I have zero problem stating that I'm not personally interested in running an IG account. But that's not the point. Also, no one said it was a "bad idea" - pros and cons were simply being weighed. This includes pointing out the owners have little reason for concern over the strength of TPF's SEO, even today. Please refrain from making false statements or accusing the moderators of "deflecting responsibility," simply because the replies you've read don't support your level of enthusiasm.

If you honestly believe that simply "having the right attitude" puts more hours into one's day, then you must be the best person to undertake such an endeavor, since you feel strongly about it. Have at it!

Hi Dan - actually, the OP's question has been answered, but you obviously disagree with what you're reading. ;)
I was not referring to the OP's question. I was referring to the question that I personally asked you, which was "So they said no?". If I missed the post where you did answer that question, please let me know because I did not see it.

The concept has been fleshed out by several TPF members over the course of 3 pages now - and by members who are actual users of IG, as to why they don't think it's a particularly good fit for TPF. I agree with you that other forums have done this, or expanded to include FB pages and the like. My prior comments stand: the site owners are very engaged tech professionals who own a large amount of forums, and it remains their decision when and how to include other social media.
I happen to also be a user of IG who has successfully created a large following based on a knowledge of how to use the site and attract viewers and followers, and I simply disagree with those who believe it's a bad idea, and saying "they don't think it's a particularly good fit for TPF" is just another way of saying that it's a bad idea. I have experienced the reasons as to why it is a good idea. Has anyone here actually experienced the cons that they have listed? I certainly haven't. To me I have only seen paranoia and a list of cons from those who don't or barely even use instagram or have no experience with more than just a personal instagram account who only follow friends and family. I'm not invalidating their opinions, simply questioning the experiences that have given them the idea that it isn't a good fit for TPF.

My prior comments stand: the site owners are very engaged tech professionals who own a large amount of forums, and it remains their decision when and how to include other social media.
How am I to know who the site owners are, what they do, and how they feel about having an instagram for TPF? You have made insinuations that you are in contact with them, hence why I have directed my comments about asking them to you. Saying "it remains their decision when and how to include other social media" still doesn't answer the question of whether it is something they would be interested in. You have however made the point of saying that it simply won't happen, meaning you know something about this that we do not, hence why I asked for more information from you specifically. Was I wrong to do so?

I'm puzzled over your strong pushback towards your fellow TPF'ers. It's very easy to trip through a thread and slap a "Disagree" on the many posts from members who don't share your apparent enthusiasm for IG. Based on your signature links, IG is a great fit for you, and for individual self-promotion. I'm glad it works for you. That doesn't make the replies to this thread invalid.
Just because many members don't agree with me does not mean that I am doing something wrong by stating why I disagree with them or for using a function of the site that they are also more than entitled to use as well. As it is, members have also "slapped" agree reaction to my posts in this topic as well. To be clear, I didn't say that the other replies were invalid, I just disagreed with them as I am entitled to do, and gave my reasons why and my reasons as to how I think this could happen and why I believe it's not a bad idea. Many of those who don't agree with the idea don't use instagram, but how could they even know anything about how an Instagram account could affect the site if they don't use instagram?

You are certainly free to step up and volunteer; contact the owners directly by use of the Contact Us button and make your case. You could be in for a happy surprise, but maybe you should be prepared to put the time and effort into it.
Thank you for the information. I will be contacting the site owners. This is all you had to say to me.

"but maybe you should be prepared to put the time and effort into it."
Not once did I say that I wasn't prepared to put the time and effort into this. I am an active member of this site who logs in almost every day and have for many years as you are well aware of, as well as instagram as you so kindly pointed out the fact that I have made it work well in my favor. So why would you allude to me not being willing to put effort into something like this, as I am doing exactly that now and I put no less effort each day on this site as what would be required to successfully run an instagram account?

Also, no one said it was a "bad idea" - pros and cons were simply being weighed. This includes pointing out the owners have little reason for concern over the strength of TPF's SEO, even today.
No, not in the exact words "this is a bad idea", but as I said before, giving reasons as to why "they don't think it's a particularly good fit for TPF" is just another way of saying that it's a bad idea.

Please refrain from making false statements or accusing the moderators of "deflecting responsibility," simply because the replies you've read don't support your level of enthusiasm.
I did not make any false statements about anyone, and I will freely say as I wish within the rules of this site, as I have done thus far. If I have not, please refer me to which rule I am breaking and I will take responsibility.

You referring me to the site owners who I do not know, and had no prior knowledge of how to contact, instead of answering with a simple yes or no or even explaining how to contact the site owners is deflecting responsibility of answering a question to a faceless entity that I could not contact, prior to you explaining how I could do so in your most recent response to me.

If you honestly believe that simply "having the right attitude" puts more hours into one's day, then you must be the best person to undertake such an endeavor, since you feel strongly about it. Have at it!
How does adding hours to a day have anything to do with any of this? Making an instagram account takes 5 minutes. Finding a great photo on this site would easily take less than 5 minutes, and making an instagram post takes roughly the same amount of time. That's barely 10 minutes a day if one post is made each day.

Before now, I believed the only people who could be considered for maintaining a TPF instagram account are the current moderators and admins for the site, otherwise I have no issue with volunteering to do so. I have been a member of this site for 7 years and post consistently, and am quite enthusiastic over the idea of TPF having an instagram account because I believe it could breathe new life into a community that I love being a part of, a sentiment I could assume that you share with me. I see this site declining in activity every year and it makes me sad, so yes, I feel strongly about this and am willing to do something about it. It's not a good feeling to see so many others who enjoy this site be unwilling to even give this a try because they just don't like or understand or use instagram, and I truly believe it would be a good way to bring new members to the site rather than just letting activity continue to decline. I hope this clears up any reasons as to why you are puzzled over my "strong pushback" towards my fellow TPF'ers on this topic. From the looks of it though, I'm not the only one who shares my sentiment here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back