Things are different around the world.... really

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
I thought it might be interesting to find out what you think is interestingly different about a country/culture not your own. Not necessarily huge differences but little quirks. For example... On a trip to Canada last year I discovered bagged milk. I found this to be strange as we don't have bagged milk in the US. My Canadian friends thought it was strange that milk came in plastic bottles and cardboard cartons. Anything similar happen to you?

I don't see much bagged milk around here...although it is good for the environment (less packaging)...I've seen people just put the bag into a juice jug and slit the top.

One thing I found really weird is the Iced Tea, in many places in the US. It's just cold, unsweetened tea...that's not tasty at all. They have to give you sugar to put into it yourself.

Up here, Iced tea (for the most part) is just another soft drink (or soda pop). It's just as sweet as Coke or Sprite.

Another thing that has always confused me...how come English speaking people seem to sing without an accent? (to my ears anyway) Take the Beatles for example...they all spoke with British accents but you can't really tell when they sing. Same deal with Australian singers.

When someone who speaks a different language...sings in english...I can tell the accent...but not for the different versions of the English language.

Maybe it's just me...

The heating controlled by the state in Moscow...

Schoolchildren who wait for everyone else to board the (public) bus before getting on, and then remaining in silence for the whole journey in Bermuda...

The food in Wales...

The telephone connectors in Italy...

Big Mike said:
I don't see much bagged milk around here...although it is good for the environment (less packaging)...I've seen people just put the bag into a juice jug and slit the top.

One thing I found really weird is the Iced Tea, in many places in the US. It's just cold, unsweetened tea...that's not tasty at all. They have to give you sugar to put into it yourself.

Up here, Iced tea (for the most part) is just another soft drink (or soda pop). It's just as sweet as Coke or Sprite.

Another thing that has always confused me...how come English speaking people seem to sing without an accent? (to my ears anyway) Take the Beatles for example...they all spoke with British accents but you can't really tell when they sing. Same deal with Australian singers.

When someone who speaks a different language...sings in english...I can tell the accent...but not for the different versions of the English language.

Maybe it's just me...

Want me to record myself singing?

Rob said:
The food in Wales...

The people in Wales!:lmao: (JK)

Scandinavian breakfast! A selection of cold meats, cheese (Ghost! pronounced Gost, Mmmmmm!), bread and preserved fish.

And why don't the hotels in Norway have coffee and tea making facilities in the rooms?

Scott WRG Editor said:
On a trip to Canada last year I discovered bagged milk. I found this to be strange as we don't have bagged milk in the US. My Canadian friends thought it was strange that milk came in plastic bottles and cardboard cartons.

Actually, they have bagged milk in Wisconsin. First time I saw it, I laughed. They give you small plastic pitchers with it and a cutter when you buy milk. You put the bag in the pitcher and use the cutter to clip the corner of the bag. The hole kind of acts as a pour spout. Weird (by California standards) but effective. :p

Proof:
bagomilk.jpg

They do have all kinds of pies, especially steak and kidney - admittedly not in a rotisserie on the bar like you northerners though! They don't however, have chips 'n' gravy. Or chips and curry sauce.

mmmm.. chips. no stop, it'll make me a fattie.

up north:
pukkapies9he.jpg

Rob

Most reactions

Back