Third Party Speedlights

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I have a YongNuo 467 and for $45 it is a great flash. I use it for OC lighting but it's not very powerful. I plan on adding a 3rd flash and was looking into the
more powerful YN560II. Anyone have experience with this flash? For $70 I figured it was worth it.
Anyone have any other suggestions of OC manual flash?

I like the vivitar 285 butttttttt I prefer my sb28. Strong, not big, pc port. KEH has them bargain grade for the $70 range. Their bargain grade is pretty darn good.

The yn560II has about a GN of

The Vivitar 285HV has a semi-auto functionality that is independent of which ever camera it is used with, either on or off the hot shoe.

The Yongnuo flash units don't deliver as much light as their GN numbers indicate. The Yongnuo flash units are inexpensive but calling them great flash units is a real stretch.

I have a couple of LumoPro LP160's that I've been pleased with.

The Vivitar 285HV has a semi-auto functionality that is independent of which ever camera it is used with, either on or off the hot shoe.

The Yongnuo flash units don't deliver as much light as their GN numbers indicate. The Yongnuo flash units are inexpensive but calling them great flash units is a real stretch.

From anecdotes of amazon reviews, I had read people testing a GN of 144. It's a stretch to you maybe, but value is subjective. I believe that for the $45 that I paid, the YN467 is pretty great considering the cost/quality ratio. Is my SB700 better? Definitely. But I could buy 7 467s before I bought 1 SB700. To me that's pretty great. It's not very strong, but it's also a $45 flash.

SB28 is a really good flash.

If you'd like a little more power (guide # 45 meters) then a used Metz 45 would be a good choice -or a 60 if you want even more.

Too big for my tastes.

The yn-560's have been very reliable for me as extra OCF flashes. Over 2 years now with heavy use when full size strobes are too much to carry on location.

Most reactions

Back