This looks like the battery is deteriorating.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I replace the battery or keep on shooting?

_MG_1960.jpg

I would say, keep on shooting with that battery but get your self a second one anyways, that way you have a back up and if that one quits working you will still be good to go

I would say, keep on shooting with that battery but get your self a second one anyways, that way you have a back up and if that one quits working you will still be good to go
I agree with what dannylighting says, keep shooting and get a spare battery. In any case its always a good idea to carry a spare battery. When all three icons turn blue (or whatever color they turn when the battery is past it) put the old one out to pasture and get a new spare.

LP-E6N is the newer model, probably uses a different model of Li-ion cell inside the package. It has a very slightly higher charge capacity 1865mAh against the LP-E6 which has capacity of 1800mAh. This gives you a gain of about 3% capacity for a price increase of 24%.
I would go for the cheaper LP-E6 battery.

Looks to me like it's only 1/3 gone. Based on having it a year I'd say you've got 2 more left in it.

If you buy a cheaper brand replacement from a reputable dealer there should be no problem. You certainly won't damage your camera regardless of what the camera manufactures say. The worst that can happen is the camera won't work with that battery, its never happened to me but I have heard of cases where the camera rejects third party batteries from some manufactures. I do have one third party battery for my D7000 that forgets the shutter count if I pull it out and then put it back in the camera but other than that it works fine.
Camera manufactures don't make their own batteries, the get them made to their specifications by battery manufacturers and in many cases the same production lines that supply camera manufactures also supply the third party battery brands.

I have bought 10 dollar off brand camera battery's before for my point and shoots and i think I had a off brand for my old D60, they worked just fine and lasted a long time. I do think allot of them are the same battery with a different name brand stamped on it.

You could try "exercising" the battery. Run it down and recharge it a couple of times each. You don't have to operate the shutter, just leave the camera turned on overnight, then when it is nearly zero charge, put it on the charger, but don't leave it on the charger beyond full charge, then repeat the process.

Buying compatible batteries from reputable dealers will likely work and save some money.

But...as noted about a year ago, when Canon updated the firmware for the 5Diii, many users found their 'compatible' batteries were no longer compatible. There was a flurry of threads on various photography websites about how they were surprised their discount batteries were no longer recognized.

I don't fault Canon at all for making their cameras only 'like' genuine batteries. It's called increased sales result in more profits. My Epson R580 printers are equally as 'fussy'. They fail to recognize perhaps 60% of the compatible ink cartridges I bought shortly after acquiring the printers. It's been the 'real deal' ever since.

Li-ion battery do not require exercise, though a full discharge and full charge can calibrate the battery`s internal gauge if the battery supports this, also you take a chance fully discharging a battery as this could cause the battery to fail if it`s already starting to deteriorate.

Try not to fully discharge the battery before you charge it, leave at least leave one bar as whenever you full discharge a battery you cause a little bit of damage and it is all add up.

Also let the battery cool down for 30m to 1H before you charge it, as heat is the battery`s enemy and you don't want to increase it by charging an already hot battery.

Have a read of the link below.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

John.

Most of my local camera shops carry promaster brand. Promaster is tempting to buy, because it is little cheaper than canon, but it may not has enough cycles as canon has. Is there Any brand more expensive than canon? It mays be a good investment.

Most reactions

Back