Thoughts on Canon 1ds ( pre-markII )

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My primary camera is a EOS 1v and I've been slowly learning how to leverage the benifits of digital SLRs with my 10d. Lately, I've been yearning for the same performance, build, and feel of my 1v in a digital SLR. More importantly, I'd like full frame ( or close ) and the freedom to crop a bit more aggressively without too much loss in quality. The 1ds markII is not in my budget and the used 1ds bodies are approaching new 5d bodies ( with battery grip ).

Does anyone here still shoot with the canon 1ds? Does it have the feel of the 1v? This camera was release back in 2002 any major issues over the time of ownership? I do searches and I keep running into reviews and threads concerning the 1ds mark II. I'm reading through the dpreview of the 1ds as I write this. I am considering the 5d+battery grip but I'm looking for more than just an upgrade to by 10d......

No, weather sealing is nice but not critical. I do a mix of portraits and landscapes. I shoot with mostly primes. I rarely shoot at beyond the iso 800. I find my self using my 10d's battery grip a lot so I'd like to have the same on whatever I decide. ( Wish Canon kept backwards compatibility with the battery grip ). I usually shoot with film but ever since I purchased the 10d used, I found myself shooting more digital if not a combination of both.

So basically here are my feelings on the choices available:

1) 20d - Cheapest of the bunch. More pixels but still gotta deal with the 1.6 crop. I haven't been convinced that I"d be any happier with the 20d over my current 10d. No spot meter.
2) 1d mark II - 1.3 crop.. which is ok. 1 series body is nice. Again.. 8 megapixel doesn't give me much more than my current 10d. The camera can shoot more fps but I don't do sports so its not that critical.
3) 1ds mark II - not in budget. I'd love to have it but it just will not happen.
4) 1ds - full frame, 11.1 megapixels, same/similar body to my familiar 1v. Same meter as my 1v. Same 45-point AF as my 1v.
4) 5d - Full frame. 12.7 megapixels, Priced new with the battery grip, is close to a used 1ds. No multi-point spot meter. Spot meter is looser than 1ds. Better performance at higher ISO.

From that, I came to the conclusion that its between a 5d and older 1ds. I want to see if anyone else had opinions about the 1ds which is getting old by now. Am I on target with my thoughts?

Oh yeh.. one more thing... I'm in no hurry... willing to wait...

I'd probably go with the 5D for landscape and studio... the mps are higher, and with both of these subjects, you'd be bound to have a spot/flashmeter available with you.

But I've never shot with either of those cameras. Ask on FM or POTN - there are more guys who actually shoot those things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back