Tilting Screens: Do we need them?

Depends on how the camera is going to be used. For example, recording selfie video...being able to flip the screen so the camera's view can be see from a front of camera position is pretty useful; my niece works in TV news, and many smaller stations are doing what they call "one man band" news reporting, where the reporter has to set up, film, and edit his/her own segments...when the camera has a built-in flippy screen, then there's no need for another item--no need for an external monitor! Video production has become a huge segment of camera use, what with YouTube having developed into a massive distribution channel that millions of people are sending their work into.

For high- and low-angle stuff, having a tilting LCD screen changes the equation, for some people. But not every single person shoots the same stuff, or in the same way. Some types of photography are done without actually looking AT or through the viewfinding system constantly, like tripod-mounted shooting where the camera is set up and framed, focused, and then the shots are fired from a remote release, or by hand on the trigger with the subject being looked at with human eyes, to capture the exact, right moments.

Tilting screens, while useful, seem like something that would break easily.

I found it useful on the 60d when taking macro shots of flowers. Just flip it out of the way when not in use. You can even flip the screen inwards so it would be protected (in camera bag rubbing against things). I can imagine it coming in handy doing street photography as well.

Of course different than just a tilty screen.

How to Work with the Canon EOS 60D Movable Monitor - For Dummies

I just LOVE my tilt screen!
tongue0015.gif

Tilt%20Screen.jpg

I absolutely love flipscreens. Makes certain shots much easier.

That my new D750 has a tilting screen is a huge bonus for me, compared to my old D600. Of course its no full flipscreen, but oh well.

One of the features I absolutely love about REAL flipscreens is that you can turn them around - so they're much better protected.

P.s.: About the 4x5 camera posting right before this one: *gear envy* *gear envy* *gear envy*

Last edited:
I have a fully articulated screen on one of my most used cameras, while the other two in regular use have fixed screens. I use the veiwfinder most of the time, but there have been occasions where thats just not practical.

The articulated screen certainly improves on a merely tilting one, but both can have their uses.
Either way NEED it certainly too strong a word. If I don't need the IR capabilities of one of my fixed screen cameras, I'd almost certainly choose the articulated screen for low level macro, or shooting from positions that are awkward to reach. Otherwise It tends to be AF/zone focusing & framing by guesswork, for these awkward shots.

Last edited:
taking selfies is so much easier with a tilt screen, getting the camera low to the ground without needing to get down on your belly is pretty nice or holding it up above you head and tilting the screen so you can see what the camera is getting.

do we need these tilt screens, no, do they come in handy, they can. a tilting screen is a bit more likely to get broken or have issues of some sort over a fixed position screen. i like having a tilting screen, i wish both of my cameras had a tilting screen.

I just LOVE my tilt screen!
tongue0015.gif

Tilt%20Screen.jpg
Not just a tilt screen but a tilt/shift lens as well!
Looks a lovely beast, much more attractive than my monorail, seems a shame to have to hide it under a dark cloth :).

The front standard has rise, fall, tilt and swing. The rear standard has tilt, rise and shift.

My P7800 has a full rotating / tilt screen. Very useful as the mini EVF is small to look at (though very bright). Great for tight quarters and selfies, etc. as mentioned above.

On DSLRS? Nah..I would prefer them they way they always have been. To me, they are just another thing that could break. But I can see their uses, I just kind of find them silly looking on professional DSLRs.

I've used the tilt screen a few times on the D750 for unique situations but I almost always use the view finder. It is nice for video. The only time I find it really handy is when shooting babies if i want to get the shot from their level. The tilt screen allows you to put the camera on the ground without having to break your neck trying to peek through the view finder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back