Tin Type

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
The TPF forum has inspired me to look further into photography and my first step was to read a History of Photography I had pick up a few years ago. I was fascinated with some of the pre film photography and decided to check on e-bay for vintage photography and specifically tin type photographs. Well to make a long story short this is what I got:

97_1_b.jpg

Only paid $4.50 for it. I think its pretty neat.

They have a wonderful rustic look! :D But I don't want to buy them, I want to do them! You can get the kits and that's a great way to get started. I'm going to be a messy dangerous thing when I get a darkroom...I'm such an alt-process geek wannabe. :|

can you explain this photo a bit more, its print that was processed on tin? coolness, how old is it, what more can you tell us about it?

As I understand it the tin IS the film. A tin sheet is coated with light sensative emulsion and placed in the camera and exposed. Then the sheet is developed and you have the picture. The tin type is 18th century tech and pre-dates celluloid film. It was cheaper alternative to the glass type plates being used at the time.

As for the subject of the image her name is lost to time and she has probably been dead for 3 or 4 decades at least.

Now I have no idea wiether the one I acquired is genuine or not and frankly, for $4.50, I don't care. I just wanted to get my hands on one and if it was made last week or 100 years ago is quite irrelevant to me. :)

It's probably authentic. It certainly looks like period dress and background, and why would anyone bother faking that?

I think you described it perfectly, Scott. The kits I've read about come with cut sheets of tin, and they're probably smooth and perfect. A more distressed piece would look even better, imo. :D After applying the liquid emulsion, you can expose with an enlarger then develop the plates virutally like prints. I would love to try projecting an image and seeing how it works!

Terri, Orie....You two aren't allowed to talk about stuff like this anymore. At least not until I get the stuff for the lifts and can produce a few of them. :D

I really do like the tin prints. I would love to do one in an old box camera and see how it came out, too.

hobbes28 said:
Terri, Orie....You two aren't allowed to talk about stuff like this anymore. At least not until I get the stuff for the lifts and can produce a few of them. :D
I really do like the tin prints. I would love to do one in an old box camera and see how it came out, too.

Hear that, Orie?? We're being artistically repressed by a mod! :eek:

Hey! Everyone! Did you see him repressing us?? :p

On another note....what book is that, Orie? I love to read them. :D

terri said:
hobbes28 said:

Hear that, Orie?? We're being artistically repressed by a mod! :eek:

Hey! Everyone! Did you see him repressing us?? :p

He's not my king, I didn't vote for him.... :)

It "Photo-Imaging: A Complete Guide to Alternative Processes" by Jill Enfield. I'd happy copy a sample chapter or two if you want to check it out.

Hobbes! :x I will not stand for this discrimination! Freedom will prevail!

Now he's trying to take more money from us taxpayers! I say...Overthrow the...well, I guess Chase is King, so...Overthrow the prince!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back