tips and tricks.......

KVB1085

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anyone got any tips or tricks about setting up some in home shoots to practice up?

i work from 9-6... and i don't get home til 7.... so it's pretty much dark outside.. and i'm still learning the camera... i was wondering what people do for practice shots in home? i don't want to just sit in my room and shoot at a wall ya know???? at first i was testing aperatures and w/b by just pointing at a light in my room... but that is freakin boring...

and as far as back grounds go??? carpets and painted walls don't always get the job done... what do you use for temp back drops and what not!?!?!

thanks in advance... i dig reading what you guys/girls with experience say on this forum!

What type of shooting are you interested in? You could shoot apples and oranges i a bowl (stereotypical still life).

You could find a doll or mannequin head and use a lamp to experiment with how different lighting looks on a face. This is one I've been meaning to try.

I totally understand your situation. I'm gonna probably follow some of these suggestions in here too.

I live in a winter clime, so winter nights are not so appealing for photography either. I've had some fun with things like Mike suggested - if i am out at the dollar store and see something cheap (coloured wooden cubes, various wire lengths, kids toys that have shape/texture etc) I pick it up. My last "shoot" was of a small wire man with an orange cube head trying to climb into a glass of sherry. I lit it with LED flashlights and used long exposure times...didn't come out the "perfect", but I did have fun. I also had to drink the Sherry when it was all done or let it go to waste...that was REALLY the hard part :greenpbl:.

Try to think of set-ups beforehand and give yourself a couple of hours. Good luck!

You could build a light box for super cheap and do "product" shots, using misc. items like the posters above have suggested.

I plan on building one also as soon as I get my new lens and flash.

I saw several DIY lightboxes using Home Depot shop lights and the pictures were amazing, just google "DIY lightbox" or "DIY softbox"...good ol Strobist has one:

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

The current photo challenge here is currently themed food. That would be a good starter to try. Most submissions so far have been taken from indoors. Another option is to get some candid portraits of others or even yourself. I like the dollar store idea. Set up some junk and shoot it. Scatterd cd/dvd cases, newspapers, nails with a hammer, kids toys, pets etc. Be creative and have a blast. Post some results. Cheers.

thanks for all the ideas... i'll def try them out...

as for what type of shooting i'm interested in..... GOOD QUESTION!!!! i do like some still life type things... not so much fruit in a bowl.. but i've got a couple guitars i plan on trying to shoot... it'd be good to work with lighting with those for sure... as far as mannequins go... i don't think i will be into shooting people so much... i really like to shoot "up close and personal." i just don't have a good macro yet.... and my other interest would just be nature... but like i said.. i don't know enough about photography yet to get in some good night shots....

keep the tips coming though!!!!

I think the fruit in a bowl suggestion was just a random idea for stuff around the house to shoot where you don't have to buy anything, it's already there, just set it up and shoot. It may not be something to use for a portfolio or anything, but I think it would be a good way to learn/practice how light falls on different surfaces and is reflected, etc. I'm going to just grab a bunch of weird stuff around the house and shoot it once I get my lightbox set up.

BTW, it's hard to tell, but is that Will Ferrell in your avatar photo? I'm guessing Anchorman?

BTW, it's hard to tell, but is that Will Ferrell in your avatar photo? I'm guessing Anchorman?

.... i don't know if you heard me counting... I did over a thousand....

:thumbup:

Like everyone else said, Grab some random stuff and play with it, When I get bored I take picturs of my cameras, or die cast replicas I have layin around. when I am seriously thinking about shooting indoors I start digging deep into filing cabnits and building themes around them.

For good temp BGs go down to wall-Mart and buy a pack of the biggest posterboard you can find, I know there are some wild colors available if you want to try that.

too dark outside? Ba humbug! Get a tripod and shoot w/ long exposure. That's a lot of fun!

Look for "Mirror Lock-Up" in your camera's custom functions.

Get a fast lens (f/1.4) or a flash and go to town. Or get a tripod and do some longer exposure stuff.

by too dark outside, i mean... i'm not knowledgeable enough to get good shots in the dark... YET

but i do have a tripod... and i spoke with someone yesterday about burst shots, or using the timer to avoid camera shake.... and there is nothing to shoot in my subdivision at night... but i will be doing some riding around some soon to get some good night shots...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back